Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Neighbor's whining dog; should I call animal control?

I just came back home from college, and my new neighbor apparently have a dog that whines incessantly during the day and at night. I think it's in a crate or something because the sound never fades. I've been told that the dog might be aggressive (it bit another neighbor's kid).

I'm not sure how they sleep through the whining, but I sure can't. My street's been quiet for the past decade or so, and this is the first time I've ever had an issue with a neighbor.

What do you think I should do?

Also, I think my family's not on the greatest terms with this neighbor. Hurricane Ike blew our shed (which we DID try to tie down) into their yard, taking the conjoint fence with it, and I have the impression they were pretty annoyed by that.

So basically, I'm debating between confronting them myself or calling animal control. I could give them a chance and confront them myself, but that runs the risk of ruining a long term relationship with them if their dog doesn't stop whining and I end up calling animal control anyways.

Or, should I just call animal control and NOT confront them, which would be anonymous?

Downloads
    Uploads
    try talking to that neighbor about this puppy and if it was aggressive then they should either train it not to do that or give it to your local humane society because what they're doing now is unacceptable and if they don't listen threaten to call the animal control and if they STILL refuse follow through on your threat!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You might ask some of the other neighbours if they are having the same problem with the whining then ask if they have any insight into the dog's temperament (Is it, indeed, aggressive?). See if anyone else would be willing to approach the neighbour with the suggestion that they either take the dog to a "doggy daycare" while they are at work. Or you can all suggest a trainer who can help with the problem. Try to approach the neighbour with a positive attitude and not with a threatening one. Keep in mind that there is an innocent animal involved here. You wouldn't want to anger your neighbour to the point where he either takes it out violently on the dog or become "the neighbour from he**.

Crating a puppy or dog when you have to leave them alone is a common practise. It helps with housebreaking and can help with dogs who suffer from separation anxiety. It sounds that is what this dog is experiencing.

Only contact the authorities as a last result. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go speak with your neighbor. Tell them about the problem you are having. After that, there may not be much else you can do.

However, if the whining reaches a major level, i.e, the dog sounds deathly ill, or something like that, you may want to call animal control and see what they can do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Talk to you neighbor first. This is the best thing to do since it is your neighbor and you have to get along with them. Makes life much easier if you do. Do not approach her with an attitude, be nice. Just tell her the barking at night is keeping you awake. Then after a few days if it continues then make an official complaint out.