Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Neighbors complaining and called the H.O.A.!! What to do?

I have an area in my front lawn (under a large oak tree) that is brown and very thin with grass. We got a warning from the home owners association last month. We had a landscaper come and try to do his magic. The grass is just starting to grow back in that spot, but very very slowly, and yesterday, we got another warning for it. What the hell do I need to do to fill the spot and make it green overnight? LOL..They obviously think it can be done! I really prefer NOT to buy sod. And either way, with the large tree hovering above the spot, won't that prevent it from reaching it's full potential? I have no idea how to make it green and filled in. HELP!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you considered forgetting about the grass and throwing down a layer of rock or bark? You will need a border of some sort but this will make it look better and you won't have to mess with trying to grow grass where it gets limited light. Of course the area would have to include the trunk of the tree.

Downloads
    Uploads
    just landscape the area around the base of the tree that doesn't get a lot of sun. There are many plants that can take part to deep shade which still look great and most grasses need a lot of sun even though they are labeled as part shade.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check your HOA handbook and see if other plantings are acceptable for front yard plantings. There are many plants that thrive in heavy shade, as under a tree, that are quite lovely. Ferns, hostas, some flowers. If plants other than grass are acceptable, go to a home improvement store or garden store and look to see what they have. Get names of plants and ask the HOA if those are alright to grow in your front yard.