Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Neighbors complaining about noise, how can this be resolved peacefully?

My neighbor recently left a note on my door complaining about the noise from my apartment to theirs. Now they live above me, and are complaining when I listen to music, or play games. Their note requested that I use headphones when doing these activities. For music this wouldn’t be a huge deal except if I have it on when cleaning up, but for television, movies and games this would be a inconvenience. I do not have an issue with lowering the volume and do not intend to disturb them. Yet they are complaining about “normal” levels. I never play anything before 12 PM or after 9 PM because I work nights (10 to 6) The issue is that one of the tenants above me is doing their dissertation and there for asking library like quiet. They are also not working so they are home all day. I am looking for a comprise but not sure where one can be found. Even though I am following the leases rules for quiet hours I am sure they would take there side. I understand I am not in a private house where I can make all the noise I want but they should understand they aren’t in a library and live in a multiunit dwelling. Has anyone resolved a situation such as this? How can I approach this without sounding like the bad guy (I don’t want to live in a library environment and I love music, movies and games) but is there even a middle ground in a situation like this?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you ever hear them stomping hard on their floor which is your ceiling? You pay rent just like they do. Lower the volume, if this still bothers them tell them to put in the ear plugs & turn a box fan on the drown out the noise. Tell them every-time they shower or take a potty break you can hear them & you don't complain about it. I could understand them if you were being rowdy & had it cranked up, I would tell them to move to a nursing home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First, has either one of you even tried to speak to the other in person? If you actually spoke to them and told them some of these things, they might listen to you or have some sort of good reason you haven't thought of. Talk to them, be respectful, your side sounds reasonable, so maybe if they heard it from your own mouth, they would listen!

You might also want to suggest to them that they use noise cancelling earphones for the hours that don't fall under quiet time according to your lease, since you are being reasonable about when you play your music, etc.