Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

neighbor complain about cats what should i do?

ok so we hav a couple outdoor cat and we live in an apt and the backyard of our apt is all connected(pretty much is townhome). so here is the problem. the person next door complains to the apt that our cats scratched their window screen and ask us to pay for it. i really get pissed because of the following.

1. since our backyard is in the middle i always hear complain about the window screen problem on one side, the other side never mentioned once.so its funny that why cats only like to go after them

2. i dont think a cat will just go randomly to any apt, i think there must be a reason, and i saw little bowl on the ground of their backyard idk whether thats cat food or not, but looks like it is since who else put a bowl for no reason.

so if the fact is next door is feeding them then u know i can't control it right? even its my cat but i dont think i should be responsible for the damage they made while they play around with them but i pay the damage thats just not fair. seems like the apt want me to pay cuz i owned them and i hav cat deposit in their hand, so what do you guys thinks? thanks
    i understand what u mean, its my responsibility since its my cat. but when u feed the cat, the cat wont go away, its not fair for me to pay the consequence they caused when they decide they wanna play with them and i hav to pay for their damage u know what im sayin?
    well they even took picure of it so it should be no doubt the cats did, and they were always outdoor they wont like stayin in

Downloads
    Uploads
    how about you keep your damn cats INSIDE!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    IMO if its your cat, then you are responsible for any damage your cat does. Doesn't matter if they are feeding it. Either bring the cat inside and keep it there, or surrender the cat to the shelter. Far too many dangers being outside all the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pay for the screen and keep your cats indoors.

If your cats had not been outside the neighbors would never have got the idea to put the bowl out in the first place. Secondly, cats scratch things for many, many reasons and that the neighbors might feed your cats is only one of them. Yes, the cats may be marking what they now preceive to be their territory, the neighbors' screen, because the yard is a food resource and scratching is one way that cats mark territory. or that might not be the reason at all.

In any case, the ultimate reason the cats have scratched the screen is because you allow them out.

Keep them in and the problem vanishes. Other problems vanish too - all the risks associated with allowing cats to roam freely. These include getting lost, trapped in a garage or shed, getting stolen, picking up parasites, being hit by a car, dog attacks, viruses such as FIV or FeLV acquired from other cats, coyotes, raccoons, and large predatory birds like eagles, some hawks, and some owls.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have not heard of a cat going to scratch away a window screen. needs evidence of it occuring to justify it. they can get in trouble if they hurt your cat best to keep it indoors if possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your cats, your responsibility.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your cats, your responsibility. You don't know for sure if they're feeding your cats. You don't know if they are playing with your cats. Even if they do play with your cats how were to know that the cats would jump on their screens.

Yes, you can control your neighbors if you "think" they are feeding the cats. Have a nice talk with them and ask them to not feed your cats. It's not that they don't like the cats, they just don't want them to damage their screens.

As long as you continue to let your cats out doors you have no control over what your cats might do to someone else's property. It doesn't matter if they pick one neighbor over another neighbor. For all you know the other neighbor may have shooed them away, because they don't appreciate the cats by their house.

You pay a pet fee just for these reasons. You signed a paper stating if there is any damage done, because of cats, then you are responsible for the damages either to your apartment or to someone else's apartment. That's what the pet fee is all about.

So the answer to your question is, yes you owe the neighbor for repair to the screens. Be grateful because it doesn't cost all that much to have screens repaired. What happens after that is any ones guess. While you're talking to you neighbors regarding not to feed your cats, ask them if the could discourage them from coming to their apartment. Good luck on that one, since the cat's are allowed out doors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep your cat indoors. She/he will live longer. I'd be worried that there was something else in the bowl of food. Some people that don't like cats on their property will put out poison.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This whole thing could be a blessing in disguise. Yes, you should pay for the screen. It is not expensive at all to get a screen repaired, and if your cat did it, then you are responsible.

However, keeping the cats inside is so much safer and healthier. I understand your concern about the cats being unhappy about staying inside, but they will adjust. I was a foster home for years and took in many stray cats that had been outside. They all wanted to go outside, and for a while it will be a challenge to keep them distracted and not give in to their demands. But ultimately they will get used to it, and you will have more quality time with your pets.