Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My roommate constantly complains about money but she has more than I do!?

I seem to have lots of problems with my roommate - and she's completely oblivious to this fact.

She's always, always, always talking about how broke she is and how she doesn't have money and how important it is that she gets something at the very lowest price cuz "I just don't have any money."

I felt bad for her, and since we're roommates on study abroad, I have offered to share many of my things with her so she doesn't have to buy them, even though it's more expensive for me cuz stuff runs out faster.

Yet the other day, I found out she has over $5000 US dollars for this study abroad program - that's after paying all the bills. I don't even have that much, yet I'm not freaking out like her!

It's making me mad, because now I've extended my help to her, and she's using up my stuff. And every single time I hear her say how poor she is I just want to slap her.

What can I do to make it clear I don't want to HEAR about her money "problems" ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Next time she starts to complain, say, "Really? Do you have shoes on your feet, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, and food in your stomach? Because that is more than 70% of the rest of the people in this world have. What more could you possibly NEED?" If she doesn't take the hint then she is probably one of those people who aren't happy unless they have something to gripe about. Her problem isn't money. I feel for you! Good luck and don't lend her your stuff. She also sounds like a mooch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My (ex) best friend was similar. She made more money a month than I did, plus I was a student with no job. She would start hinting when we went shopping or out to eat that she wanted something but its too much and she only has x amount of dollars and how rough things are for her. Occasionally I would help pay for her dinner, but usually not. I would just ignore her hints and not pay or help her so she wouldn't rely on me. I also told her that I am just a student with no job only receiving a certain amount from my parents every month, and she really cut back on her "poor me" complex.
    So my advice is to just tell her,"Look, I have problems of my own and am struggling just to support myself. I wish I could help you, but I simply can't. Be grateful that at least you have a nest egg to help you out; that's more than I have." And stick to your guns! Take care of yourself. Plus, I hear you call her your "roommate", not your "friend". So thats just another reason you don't have to feel bad, because she is just a roommate, not a long time friend. Good luck and take care of YOURSELF.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First STOP the sharing!, buy something to lock your stuff so she won't use it...and if she starts Nagging about the money; simply Ignore her or start talking about other topics...so she see's your FED-up or just got tired of her nagging, hopefully she'll realize it...Start telling her your broke too! LoL

Downloads
    Uploads
    My (ex) best friend was similar. She made more money a month than I did, plus I was a student with no job. She would start hinting when we went shopping or out to eat that she wanted something but its too much and she only has x amount of dollars and how rough things are for her. Occasionally I would help pay for her dinner, but usually not. I would just ignore her hints and not pay or help her so she wouldn't rely on me. I also told her that I am just a student with no job only receiving a certain amount from my parents every month, and she really cut back on her "poor me" complex.
    So my advice is to just tell her,"Look, I have problems of my own and am struggling just to support myself. I wish I could help you, but I simply can't. Be grateful that at least you have a nest egg to help you out; that's more than I have." And stick to your guns! Take care of yourself. Plus, I hear you call her your "roommate", not your "friend". So thats just another reason you don't have to feel bad, because she is just a roommate, not a long time friend. Good luck and take care of YOURSELF.