Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

my puppy whines when I leave the room!?

My 10 week old cavalier king charles spaniel puppy whines when I leave the room, or go out somewhere. He follows me everywhere around the house and even whines when I'm sitting on the sofa and he's on the floor (he's not allowed on the sofa). He's really cute, but I want to be able to leave the room without him either following me or whining (because I close the door to stop him following me!) HELP!!!

ok everyone, I don't leave him in the room for longer than 2 minutes by himself, he's not in any danger! It's not that I don't like him following me around, it's just when I have to go upstairs, he follows me and I'm worried he'll fall and get hurt. I love him to bits, and I didn't get him to show off, because I'm sick at the minute and he keeps me company, so I'm at home nearly all the time looking after him, training him etc. It's just the whining! Its really sad hearing him get all upset.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He really loves you. He wants you to stay with him and play. My 3 year old lab/mutt mix barks when I leave. I come back to her and she jumps on me and runs around wagging her tail. lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the same problem with my puppy,, just ignore him when he whines and praise him when he doesn't, if hes on the floor and doesn't whine sit down on the floor with him and let him know hes a good boy.

Go out regularly and leave him alone, even if you just move to a different room. Let him whine, he will soon get used to it and realize that every time you go you always come back.

Good luck

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your pup has separation anxiety. Most puppies do and grow out of if. The last thing you should do is make a fuss over him when he does whine. This will only encourage the behavior. I would talk to your vet to get some ideas on what to do, make a "den" out of a crate with a blanket over it so the puppy will feel more secure, and take him to training classes (it is really never to early to start training).

Other things to do is not make a fuss over him when you leave or return. That also goes for not announcing that you are leaving, just leave. I would desensitize him to you leaving (i.e. leave, come back, leave, comeback) while still not making a fuss over him. I would also leave/come back using your routine for leaving the house (putting on your coat, getting you keys, etc.)

In short, patience is the key.

Michael Jordan Shoes