Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member BooNaanieJusticeMiller's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

My puppy whines a lot at night, what can I do to stop the whining, calm him...

...down, and get myself some sleep? My puppy that I just got yesterday (1/2/08) whined a lot at night and I am pretty sure that he will whine again tonight. He is a 9 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and I love him to death. But I don't know if he whines because he misses his family, feels lonely, feels scared, wants attention, needs to potty, or if he just doesn't like his crate. Can anyone please help me because neither me nor my puppy Nuvo are getting any sleep (well he is because he naps a LOT during the day but I'm getting none so far) is there ANYONE that can PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    New pupies whine at night because they miss their mother and littermates. I was told that a putting ticking clock wrapped in a towel will calm them because they think it's their mother (Ticking is like heart beat).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Purchase a heat disc from the link below. He is crying for all of those reasons. I found when I gave my dog a hot water bottle that she calmed down as it was like the warmth from other dogs. However, it really isn't safe. The heat disc is safe and stays warm and chew proof (except for crazy chewers as our terrier chewed the nob off ours) I have just ordered 3 more and I even use it for me.
    Do not open the crate door or go and see the pup when she is crying. If you have to go to the crate make sure she stops crying before you let her out, or she will continue to whine and cry. Try putting a clock near by so the tick can simulate its mothers heart beat. If you don't have a heat disc and have to wait for one try putting a blanket or towel int he dryer and then putting it in with her before she goes to bed.

Make sure during the day she's allowed to go in and out of her crate whenever you can supervise. That way she will understand she's not in trouble at night and she will feel safe and secure in the crate too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    crate him in your room. put a blanket over his cage and make sure he goes potty before bedtime. try putting a bed in his cage and some treats

Downloads
    Uploads
    DON'T pay any attention to a whining puppy that you're trying to crate train. It completely ruins the entire training.

It was probably just the first night, but expect it for a few days. If it gets really bothersome, but the crate in another room.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First of all this will get better I promise. Put his crate on a chair so that he is right next to you and you can talk to him and put your fingers in his crate. It sounds like his days and nights are mixed up so until you can start keeping him awake as much as possible during the day this will go on. You might need to take him outside every couple of hours to use the restroom. Even though you will be deprived of sleep this will be so worth it in the end. He will start getting used to everything over the next few days so don't give up! My dogs are wonderfully potty trained. It was alot of work, but well worth it in the end!