Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

My parents don't let me vent to them ... who is in the wrong here ... me or them?

So I'm a college student at the age of 21. So far I am doing very well. I made it into the dental hygiene program, which is an excellent field to get into seeing as dental hygienists make great money. Anyway, I have a school assignment that requires me to drive to an elementary school and teach a bunch of 3rd graders about dental hygiene such as how to brush, why they should brush, teach them about cavities, etc.

Well, they only gave us 2 weeks to prepare for this assignment. 2 WEEKS!!! So of course I'm upset about this and feel I have the right to vent a little. I'm human after all, so venting my feelings is normal, right? Well, I vent my feelings and all I say is "They're only giving us 2 weeks to prepare to teach little kids how to do all these things. That's not much time. Other groups in my class were given a full months. Some even 2 months!"

And my dad's response is: "Ok, then work as a cashier your whole life then"
    Me: -_-

It just irks me. I know he sure vents when he needs to about his job or his boss or politics, etc. Yet when I do a bit of venting it is a problem and his solution is to just quit and be a cashier my whole life. It's like God forbid you let your daughter express her feelings at all about certain things. Just because I hate the assignment and the time they gave us to do it does not mean I won't do it and succeed in my lifetime goal as a dental hygienist.

I mean ... maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should just shut up and lock up my feelings and not say a damn word. Btw, he does this A LOT. If I complain about anything, such as my job, he'll tell me to quit then, even though HE HIMSELF complains about HIS job all the freaking time!!!
    Some of you guys are saying "2 weeks is plenty of time" but you need to consider the fact that as college students we each have our own schedules, so meeting up is hard. All 4 of us couldn't meet up until tomorrow, which is a week away from the presentation date. On top of that we have more than just this assignment alone such as our clinic assignments and studying for our tests and homeworks and other projects, etc. Plus, it's just not fair when you give one group 2 full months, while giving another group only 2 weeks. That's just my view though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2 weeks for 3rd graders? Seems reasonable to me.
    Give me a few nights of 'research' and I'll do the assignmet for you.

Maybe he feels your venting is more complaining, and no one likes to listen to a whiner

Of course on the flip side you can say the same to him

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're whining because you have 14 days to plan for teaching a bunch of little kids how to brush their teeth... Wow. How hard can that seriously be? How long have you been brushing your teeth? A long while I'd imagine. Not to mention that you have knowledge in the dental department.

I really do not see a reason for complaint. 2 weeks is MORE than enough time.

ETA:
    You never said anything about meeting up with 3 other people in your original question. I think between 4 of you, there is absolutely NO reason why you can't FINISH the assignment the first time you ever even meet up. I still see no reason for you to complain about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i would rather be a cashier than look inside mouths all day. anyway, you're right. your dad should listen to you. if hes bitter about what you have to say to him than dont give him the privilege of knowing anything.

Junior Member awkwardlybalanced's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I could whip that out in one all nighter when I was in college, and get an A. And I didn't have the internet. Sleep is optional.

OMG - you are lame! Look at this: http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/unitplan.jsp?id=83

Perhaps a very valuable weeding out process has begun. Elementary teacher is a valuable profession.

Your dad is a whiner too, LOL! It figures!

I'm not sidetracked - I was trying to sidetrack her. I was showing her that the lesson could be well on its way to complete in less time than it took to call her dad, get pissed off, and post her tirade. Time is valuable - she needs to start putting her energy to productive use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to say, but two weeks is PLENTY of time. It's not that hard what you need to teach them. Find some websites about cavities, kid friendly dentist songs, what to eat to keep their teeth healthy, make some kid friendly colorful posters, etc.

Maybe your teacher has more faith in your group than the others, and that's why she gave you all less time. I know how hectic college schedules are, but you all need to be responsible and mature and find a way to meet and get this done. If there's a will, there's a way.

It's seriously NO BIG DEAL. I come into the classroom at times on the fly and have to make up new activities and curriculum that very same day. Imagine if I had two weeks for every activity!

Downloads
    Uploads
    well honestly it does seem like preparing a class on how to brush your teeth isnt really well, rocket science. I could propably be able to put one together in one night just by googling and using my common sense..
    But I can see it would be annoying if he says that about anything but for this issue? I think you should stop whining, do the class and then spend the next 13 nights watching movies since you have already done your prep work..

Downloads
    Uploads
    shouldn't you be working on your assignment?

Downloads
    Uploads
    consider the possibility he was having a bad day himself. it's sometimes hard to listen to somebody vent when you're dealing with your own troubles.

btw, i understand you're new at it. but teachers don't get anything remotely approaching 2 weeks to prepare one short lesson. it seems like a pretty generous amount of time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Venting is as much an art as it is a science.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast