Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My parakeet's vent is very swollen!!!!What do i do?

My parakeet's vent is swollen. At first I thought her vent was blocked by droppings or something, so I picked her up to help clean out her vent but now i don't think that's the problem after seeing it close. When she was sitting in her cage, i think she needed to poop and her vent (which looks like a small red ball right now) started expanded like crazy. It looked like it was about to explode(it became smaller after a couple seconds),but no poop came out only pinkish water did. Please don't tell me to take it to the vet, I already know that, give me some advice on what i should do. other then her vent she seems like her normal self except a little bit puffed up and she's twicthing her tail a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    She could just be in heat...

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok she might be egg binding. this is life threatening, if not treated. i know this is not what you wanted to hear but she really does needs to go to the vet immediately. if you hear about putting her over steam dont it burns and doesen't help. there is a video about someone using steam to help their eggbound bird and it works, but he uses an eggbound parrotlet, and he is a long time proffesional and parrot breeder. good luck! also even if you cant take her to the vet, you can call them and ask. PLEASE AT LEAST CALL THEM! good luck and remember if wore comes to worst, you know you did everything you could. good luck!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    She is about to lay an egg by all your description. Pay close attention to her in case she becomes eggbound or prolapses. Advice about her being on heat is ridiculous as birds dont go on heat.......dogs do, but not birds.