Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My new 14(Dog Years)year old dog isn't potty trained and whines at night when...

...left alone? how can i potty train him? just scold him whenever he goes to the toilet unless he happens to do it outside?

WRITTEN AT 3.10am:
    and when he is left alone in the kitchen at night he whines and barks more than you would expect a dog to. granted i know dogs do this when they first arrive in a new home but he really goes crazy, he begins to pant and sweat and bark. and since my parents need sleep they asked me last night to take him into my room, i did so and the dog raced around the room looking at my stuff and wouldn't go to sleep until 3am i figured i just needed to walk him more so today i took him for a long enough walk for a dog this size. (maybe 40 minutes and he is a bishon-shih tzu cross) and after he seemed much more calm but its now 3am tonight and he's the exact same as before.
    WRITTEN AT 3.18am:
    the dogs just conked out, making me think maybe its stress and he's just fallen asleep from exhaustion now?

leave your email if possible as i may wish to contact you for more info, if you don'tt want to, also fine.

thanks in advance

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most dogs won't "go" where they live. If you can crate train the dog and keep the crate in you bed room it may work. The dog may go in the crate easily if you tell it to and you can reward it with a treat. If it's used to a crate already you can feed it in the crate to give the create a better association for him. I read how to crate train a dog in a book I think it was a "dogs for dummies" book. If I can help further email.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have seen a dog trainer at work. They get results. Shop around your area for a dog trainer. Put a free ad in your local Craig's list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does he have a bed in the kitchen?
    He would prefer a den/crate.
    Takes 3-4 days of ignoring the dog at night for it to stop whining.

.................................................. .................................................. .............................

Training a dog . of any age, to go outside is initially very time consuming. that is why so many don't get trained.

A dog is a creature of habit.
    Whatever it does over and over again becomes a habit for the dog.

So how do you make going outside a habit?

You take it outside every hour until the dog starts showing you in some way that it wants to go outside.

How long this takes depends on the dog.

I take mine to the same spot outside where he smells the pee. I say ' "hurry up" - or some cue word
    Now, whenever I say ' Hurry up ", he goes.

There may sometimes when dog comes in and pees - especially in the winter_ but you stick to the plan.
    The plan sometimes fails because owners are in too big a hurry to get inside.

Walking fast down a block will also cause a dog to poo/pee.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does he have a bed in the kitchen?
    He would prefer a den/crate.
    Takes 3-4 days of ignoring the dog at night for it to stop whining.

.................................................. .................................................. .............................

Training a dog . of any age, to go outside is initially very time consuming. that is why so many don't get trained.

A dog is a creature of habit.
    Whatever it does over and over again becomes a habit for the dog.

So how do you make going outside a habit?

You take it outside every hour until the dog starts showing you in some way that it wants to go outside.

How long this takes depends on the dog.
    I take mine to the same spot outside where he smells the pee. I say ' "hurry up" - or some cue word
    Now, whenever I say ' Hurry up ", he goes.

There may sometimes when dog comes in and pees - especially in the winter_ but you stick to the plan.
    The plan sometimes fails because owners are in too big a hurry to get inside.

Walking fast down a block will also cause a dog to poo/pee.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dogs having accidents is caused by stress. Do you leave him/her alone too often? Is there a lot of thunderstorms etc where you live? Maybe if you bought a dog bed and put it in your room he/she would be less stressed at night with you there. Maybe buy some puppy pads or you could possibly if you really are serious you could crate him but I don't recommend that because in my opinion it just causes more stress. Maybe you just need to let him out more. DON'T by any means YELL AT HIM AND/OR PUT HIS NOSE IN THE PEE! That would just give him the wrong idea and make him even more stressed. Set a schedule for letting him out for the bathroom. Go outside with him and when you see him go on the grass praise him! If he goes in the house that is ok it just means you maybe went a little over schedule. Set an alarm clock to go off at night to let him out for the bathroom. Tell your family when your at school to stick to the schedule and not be gone for more than 30 minutes because it could cause him stress of you leaving him. If he goes in the house after you let him out that could mean that he is excited and runs around in the yard, but forgets to go to the bathroom by the time you let him in and that results in him going in the house. And maybe however many hours you take him to go to the bathroom is WAY too long because such a small dog like that has a very small bladder and can't hold it that long. As for the whining I would say he is being left alone to often maybe. Or, he could be getting really excited because maybe you don't say hi to him all the time and he's trying to get your attention, or he could need to go out to the bathroom again, or he is just a regular, hyper, excited puppy and is just very happy to see you and after he's all done saying hi and whining/ talking to you he just conks out from exhaustion. Good Luck and I hope I helped.

Downloads
    Uploads
    see a dog traner if you cant get him fixed then let him sleep out side for thenight or two and ive him a peice for turkey and say good night and put a toy out. or put him in a crate in your room or put a bed in the room with a pee pee pad you can get both at target. give him a treat or say good girl or boy when it gose on pee pee pad. or let him sleep on your bed buy little stairs and let him g up and down to pee on pee pee pad.