Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dogs whining is driving me crazy!!?

I've had my Jack Russell Terrier since 10/2007, and he was a little puppy when we got him. Besides being really hyper he was just fine. We've been following the same routine for the last 16 months. He goes into his kennel at night, and since I am a night owl at night means around 12am. We let him out in the morning and then back into the kennel when I go to work at 11, my girl friend gets home at 5:30 and then lets him out again.

What I don't understand is that's what been the routine for my dogs whole life, and then all of a sudden the last 3 months he just constantly whines while in the kennel, whether its in the middle of the night or in the morning before I wake up. He's out of the kennel from 5:30am to 6:30am, and then 9am to 10:30am and then 5:30pm to 12am on most nights. Why all of a sudden is starting to whine now after all of this time? it is driving me crazy. I mean he has always been a whiner, but it was if we left him outside in the backyard without any access to the house or if in the kennel when we have company over. We can't leave him outside because he whines and barks all day and the neighbor complained. I don't know what to do, if I just ignore him, he will literally do it for hours. It makes me very irritated at him and I don't want to be, i just want him to be what he used to be.
    he's not sick because he doesn't whine at all as long as he is out of the kennel and has access to the back yard and house through his doggy door, but he is purposely destructive and I won't do that. I say purposely because when I am around he doesn't do anything but let me leave him home a lone without putting him the kennel, or fall asleep on the couch and leave him out, then I wake up to a big mess.
    we walk him and then take him to the dog park 1 to 2 times a month.
    he is out of the kennel every chance we get, its not like we just sit home and leave in the kennel. If we're home, he is out . If you do the math, he is only in the kennel 7 1/2 hours during the night when we sleep, and 6hrs during the day while we are at work, so he is out 11hrs a day.

He knows his kennel and lays in the kennel without having to be put in there. when it gets late at night he is already sleep in the kennel, its just when I leave the room to go to the bedroom is when he starts whining.
    Oh, I have a second dog and he does just fine--doesn't give me any problems at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He is BORED out of his ever-lovin MIND!!!! Challenge the brain and tire the body...do activities

obedience, agility, flyball, lure coursing. ANYTHING, but give him a purpose, something to work for. You dog is an active, smart, eager to please TERRIER (or terrorist) a working dog needs to work for something.

EDIT: One to Two times a MONTH??? thats just cruel. Your dog needs at least ( the VERY least) ONE TO TWO HOURS PER DAY OF GOOD SOLID EXCERCISE.... you chose the wrong breed for your lifestyle obviously. Find a JRT rescue and turn him over...he would be much better off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you walk this dog? All dogs need long walks everyday. The backyard is not enough. A dog get lots of stimulation - smells, physical, mental, etc through walks. A dog pack in the wild will walk/run ALL day.
    This should help the problem.

I walk my dogs twice a day - everyday for 35 minutes to an hour each time. It's good for all of us.... but it is essential for the dogs.

If you aren't getting the answer you want here. Call a trainer.
    Unless there is a physical problem - there is something you can do as an owner to help this dog.