Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dog whines in car. Help!?

I know my dog has separation anxiety...

when we aren't driving my dog will sit still, not really move and not whine; but when we move, he starts to whine.

I don't yell at him for it. I am calm and tell him to sit. He'll then sit. And then sometimes he will whine and something he won't, but most of the times he does. Everyone else in the car with us, yells at him for it...

And it seems like everytime we stop the car, he'll stop whining.

Is this something he should get punished for? Is he having anxiety? What should I do?
    I forgot this...

When we go on roadtrips.. we take our dogs along. Many times my dog will get restless and lie down and sleep. It's when he is awake he whines. We do give him a bone; but to me that is like reinforcing his behavior.

I always get angry when other people yell at him for it...
    haha. I know what sepration anxiety is...

We do bring a crate along with us on roadtrips; but he isn't used to being in there - and then whines and then everyone gets mad again. I just tell them to ignore it too. No use.

We change vehicles alot, so we aren't always in the same ones..

Downloads
    Uploads
    some people talk shit without reading the questions don't they!?
    I was worried when I went from a car to a ute (pick-up for the Yanks) I even handed food out the window to the dog on the back to give him good association with the back of the ute, but it was as simple as leaving him to it, He absolutely loves it!
    the girls were the same, even the puppy! ask someone with one if you can try him on the back of it and if he likes it then consider getting one. tell the other people in the car that if they yell at the dog for being scared then you will stop and they can get out... then do it! kick them out of the car and drive off! they'll soon learn not to aggrivate the dogs anxiety issues!

Downloads
    Uploads
    maybe he has motion sickness one of my dogs always pukes when i take her for a ride. how to solve the problem? Don't take them on car rides anymore unless you have to go to the vet or something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hes punishing you for leaving him, i think when your outta his sight he stops though....pretty sure

Downloads
    Uploads
    NO,yelling at the dog will not help.He can't stand the motion.I have 3 dogs I take on trips,one always whines,she gets motion sickness or something.When we stop you do have to let her out right then.Some dogs ride well and others do not,nothing really you can do but try and make his trip pleasant as you can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No you really shouldn't punish the dog for this that will only make it worse. He probably is really scared when in the car. My shih tzu hates being in the car and she just sits there and doesn't move an inch and just shakes really bad. Maybe try give him a treat when the car is moving and tell him good boy to show it that everything is ok.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Comfort it with treats or its favoritre toy. It might be sick too. And don't forget to stop every 2 or 3 hours to go to a toilet break. the whine of your dog maybe means "I want to go to the toilet!!". If that's not it, your dog can sit on your lap along the trip if it's a small dog.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's probably NOT anxiety or motion related. Your car probably makes some kind of high-pitched noise that bothers his ears when it's moving. Try him in someone else's car or truck. Or take yours in for maintenance and maybe the adjustments will stop the noise.