Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member fireballtwistedsnow's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dog is shaking her head very often ( like every 5-10 seconds). She is also

scratching and whining a lot.? It looks like she has a lot of ear wax on the inside of the flap of her ear.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find out what is wrong. This has been going on for about a day and it is making me worried. I would like to know ways of helping her if that is possible. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    The most common causes of these symptoms are ear infections and ear mites. The infection could be either bacterial or fungal, and could have come up on its own, or be due to an underlying issue, such as allergies or a foreign body in the ear (like a grass seed). In order to find out what the problem is, take yer to your vet and have her checked. Different medications are needed for different conditions. An ear mite treatment won't help an infection, and the medicaiton for a bacterial infection won't treat a fungal infection.
    This is not an emergency, but get her in tomorrow if possible, as it is an uncomfortable, painful condition that won't go away on its own, and can lead to complications such as middle/inner ear infections, the ear drum can be destroyed, inflammation of the ear canal can seal off the lower part of the ear so it is very difficult to treat, and could potentially lead to hearing loss if not treated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As everyone has already said, it sounds like it's either ear mites or more than likely a yeast infection. You don't say what kind of dog you have, but dogs with ears that hang are more prone to ear infections because there is little opportunity for air to get to the ear canal to keep it dry and the ear flap helps retain moisture/warmth, thus the perfect breeding ground for a yeast infection.

No need to go to the emergency vet, but try to get her in to your regular vet tomorrow if possible. The vet will flush her ears, prescribe something like Otomax and may possibly give you a prescription for an antibiotic. The longer you delay going to the vet, the longer it will take for the problem to clear up, the ears will start smelling, and can possibly end up causing permanent ear damage if left untreated at all.

In the meantime, to help provide some slight relief for her, take Q-Tips and wet the ends in peroxide or rubbing alcohol. Gently clean out her ears, being careful to not go too deep and damage the ear drum.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Junior Member LaunitBYBrstsightedin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a good old fashioned ear infection. Schedule a vet appointment as soon as possible. Your dog is in pain. You will need ear medication and possibly antibiotics according to how severe it is.

And make sure you completely understand how to clean your dog's ears.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's called taking her to the vet. Sounds like she has ear mites or an infection.
    The only thing you could do would be get some ear mite drops from petsmart or walmart and follow the directions. It might work, it might not. You need to clean the ear with the corner of a damp washcloth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's called taking her to the vet. Sounds like she has ear mites or an infection.
    The only thing you could do would be get some ear mite drops from petsmart or walmart and follow the directions. It might work, it might not. You need to clean the ear with the corner of a damp washcloth.

Ear infection. Go to the vet ASAP! My dog has the same problem but we have her on medication and now she's fine. We also clean her ears a lot. This is happening because your dog's ear might be closing up and she might need surgery like my dog. Maybe! Go to your vet. This is painful and frustrating for your dog!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know what kind of dog you have, but many dogs need their ears plucked and cleaned on a regular basis in order to prevent infection. When you take your dog to the vet, they should show you how to properly do this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This sounds like a nasty ear infection...Take her to the vet...she may have ear mites.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Fireball

The 3 most likely possibilities would be ear mites, infection, or allergies. See if you can get her to your Vet tomorrow. You'll both feel much better.

Best of luck,
    Rebel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast