Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dog has had knee surgery, I don't think she's in pain, but she whines...

...constantly - why? My dog had knee surgery on Tuesday morning. It's now Wednesday night and she has not stopped this high pitched whine since I picked her up from the vet. The vet said it's because she's uncomfortable and was still coming out of anesthesia a little bit... but the whining has gotten WORSE since she's become more alert. She will stop for a while, after doing this for a few hours, then start again and it goes on and off for another few hours. It goes on throughout the entire night as well.

I've fed her (only a small amount), I've made sure she did her #1 and #2. She's had her pain medicine today, and she has a pain patch under her leg wrap. I called my vet today and he said he can't give her any more pain medication than what she is already taking.

However, I really don't think she's in pain. She has put a little bit of weight on her wrapped leg while doing potty and she didn't whine or make any sign of distress at all.

The whining actually seems to get worse when I go to her and try to comfort her and move her around into a more comfortable position. It will stop for a few minutes after I leave her alone again... but then she picks right back up with it if she doesn't go to sleep. And she often does not go to sleep.

I don't know what to do but this high pitched whine is going to DRIVE ME INSANE. Does anyone have any ideas or tips about what I could do to comfort her or put a stop to the whining?

p.s. The only time it stops completely is when I take her outside. She will just sit in the grass with her wrapped leg sticking out at an awkward angle and she looks really happy. But it's 100 degrees for most of the day here and I can't let her outside for long periods of time, and certainly not alone.

HELP!!!!

Thank you.
    Oh and I should add that I have to carry her outside and it's really hard on my back since she's 30 lbs and I'm just recovering from a back injury... which is why I can't take her out more than a few times a day.
    I know she's not in pain for the reasons I listed above. And my vet is a wonderful vet, he's saved my dog's life when she was 6 weeks old and had distemper and no one else thought she would live.

Please take your negativity elsewhere, I have no patience for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    She may be in pain even with all the meds. Or she may be loopy from all the meds, confused, etc. Or she may be hungry- she should be able to eat her full portion of food today (unless you vet told you not to).
    Comforting her is more likely to cause her to whine more, because you are reinforcing the behavior. I would also not try to move her around at all; she will be able to find a comfortable spot.
    Is there a quiet, comfortable room you could put her in where she won't bother you?
    If not, you might consider bringing her back to the vet for the night and letting them handle her and keep her comfortable.
    Best of luck to both of you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    if she can put some weight on it then try to let her get up and move a little bit instead of having to stay laying down all the time. shes bored out of her skull and wants to get up and do something but she can't because it causes her pain in her knee. if she is in a kennel then at least let her come out and be on the couch or her pillow/bed on the floor. also instead of putting her back in the spot you have her let her be outside in the shade for a little while instead of for a few minutes until you decide you want to put her back. she wants to be outside and she is whining because she can't go outside like she normally would so she is telling you the only way she can. she doesn't realize that you don't know what she is saying. put her outside on a shorter lead so she can't move around enough to aggravate her knee and just let her be. if it makes her happy and she stops whining then its a win-win for both of you. if its to hot then let her out in the morning and in the evening when its cooler out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm (scratches head and thinks)...

If she's trying to put some weight on the leg, I'd think you could let her walk outside (help her down stairs) and find a shaded place to sit for a while. You could lay a wet towel on her (and on you as well) to help with the heat--being in Texas, I know where you're coming from. Somehow I think it's boredom and not being used to the restriction that's bothering her. Also, do you have a friend that doesn't have a dog so that you could take her to visit without her wanting to get rambunctious?

When I had a patio door leading to an enclosed patio, I folded a single-size blanket to about a foot wide and fastened it to the top and side of the door frame, leaving an opening just large enough for my Peke to walk through. Since it wasn't attached to the door, I could shut it without removing the blanket. Is there a way to set up something so that she could just stick her nose outside? My blanket thing didn't raise my light bill any.

HTH