Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 9mo old puppy still barks and whines in his crate?

I have been consistent with the crate since he was 2mo. Old. He is locked up in a bathroom with the light off and the fan on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is seperation anxiety.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He/she may have a case of Separation Anxiety, if this continues for much longer you may want to see a trainer or you can purchase some treats that will make the dogs relax and reduce stress.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He is lonely. Would you like to stay in a crate your whole life? You would whine too!

Downloads
    Uploads
    you might have rushed crate training. Crate training doesn't come easy. Go back to the beginning - teach him that his crate is a good place. Start by leaving the crate in a common area - not locked away in a bathroom! Put treats in the back of his crate that he can enjoy when he explores! Give him treats each time he goes in his crate. Give all of his meals in the crate .... you know the drill.
    If he's unhappy right now, it means you rushed through a step. Start back at square one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    sound like the crate wasnt properly introduced, I myself would never put my dog in a crate or lock him in a room , with propper training a dog can be left alone by himself with the run of a entire house and not do any damage. my puppy is 5 months old, he lives in my downstairs bedroom which backs onto the garden , the kitchen and the front room. when we go out we simply close the baby gate off from the upstairs of the house and he is free to run free. Unless we have been stupid and left tissues on the floor everything will be in tact when we come home. This has been a very quick process, He was very well behaved before we took him to puppy classes, he could already sit, stay, come when called, and responded really well to the word "No!" you have to say it firm enough so he knows you mean business - depending on the breed dont be scared of frightening the little thing, he needs to know your boss. The crate should have been introduced as a safe place for him, you should have let him investigate it himself initially, add toys and blankets that have your smell on them or his own smell, then after a few days- occasionally shut the door, go out of sight for no more that 5 minutes then return only when he has stopped crying for you. praise him with a treat , and repeat it every so often this way there is no chance of seperation anxiety. Maybe change the room , and definatley give him some natural light. maybe no noise of a fan, crack open a window, try leaving a radio on, I have always done this with my dogs I think they feel like they are not alone in the house if they can hear human voices whilst your out. I am not sure how to rectify it now, I would go and see a professional- local obiedience classes. One more thing, dont expect your dog to misbehave when you put him in his crate- he can sense this nervousness. How long is he left alone for......... And if he is not in the house alone , why is he in a locked dark room?

GOOD LUCK

Downloads
    Uploads
    maybe he doesnt like the crate

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seperation anxiety, let him see you more and give him a top with your scent on for him to have. Don't pay attention to his whining though. Everytime he stops whining let him out the crate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    its the dark room with the fan running let him be apart of the family by putting his/her cage in the open, only use the crate for sleeping and punishment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A crate is ONLY effective when used properly. NEVER EVER for punishment. Don't think of it as a crate but as a den, a happy place he's more than willing to go when things get boring, or he's sleepy, or he just needs some time to himself. It can never be a bad place. The crate should be out with the family, not separate. If you were in a dark room with no idea why how would you take it? Leave it in the open and when he's not looking throw treats in so that when he does walk by, SURPRISE! good things are waiting. Crate training is tedious but invaluable. Do some research on good methods and don't give up!