Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 7yr old won't stop whining?

My 7yr old is the baby of my 3 boys but lately he won't stop whining? Its driving me nuts... Any suggestions to get him to act like a big kid? We've tried sports~wrestling, baseball, basketball.

So duct tape?? Why didn't I think of that... works for everything else, right? LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just tell him you will not respond to whining. If he has something to say he needs to say it like a big boy or else you will ignore him. Try saying to him " You're whining would you like to try saying that again in a non whiny voice". If he doesn't then say ok well I'm ignoring you until you do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    buy a spray bottle and fill it with water... when he whines spray him in the face and say NO! lol, works for my cat

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tell my kids that if they whine I can't understand them. I tell them to come back and talk to me again in a normal voice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    tape his mouth shut =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    invest in a muzzle

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you're 7, your developmental "goal" is to conform to the social standards of the society into which you were born. So tell him to look at the people around him, NOT his brothers, because then he'll think that you're playing favorites, but tell him look at people in the store, on the street, or at church, or to look at you as a parent and then ask the question, "Do you see them talking to people like that?" or "Do you see me talking to people like that?" You can describe some nightmarish scenario that would happen if people did talk to one another like that. Describe to him (in a simple way) why that whining is not how our society functions. (Again, DON'T use family members if you're going to give a "what if". That would scare him)
    Or, you can let him see the consequences of what he is whinging about. Take the store example for instance: He's whining about how he wants something, so tell him to go get a shopping cart full of everything that he wants. He'll stop whining, and go get everything he wants, and then when he gets to the check-out, let the cashier scan everything, and let her say the total. Ask the 7-year-old how he expects to pay for all of this. He'll ask you to pay for it, and he might go back to whining at you, but you need to tell him to apologize to the cashier for wasting her time, and then have him go back through the store and put everything back where he found it. I know it sounds time-consuming, but it is one of those lessons that sticks forever, because it will seem to him that he just did something that is unacceptable in our society, and he will avoid repeating the behavior.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spank him, tell him he is being bad and embarrassing you.. He wont be happy, but that is raising a kid right..