Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 5 month old doberman pup constantly whines, why?

Lexi, my doberman pup is constantly in whining mode. Now, I know what you will say: she needs attention, she needs a playmate, ect. She has everything. We have a 2 yr old pitbull and a 1 yr old doberman who she loves to death. They all get alog great and they all have plenty of play time outside and downtime inside. She eats very well and gets more than enough attention between me and my boyfrien and the other dogs. She has went to the vet and is plenty healthy. So I wouldn't say maybe something is hurting her. The only time she goes in her kenel is at night and when we leave to go somewhere. I mean she will sit right next to me and whine, she will walk around the house and just whine. Now I know some ppl may say maybe she is missing her litter. But she has been away from the for quite a while now and i just don't think thats it, but I could be wrong.What could possibly be wrong??

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has she always done This ? Sounds like you have taken care of all the obvious things it could be so I think she is maybe insecure for some reason. I would totally ignore her when she whines and give her a ton of praise when she sits with you quietly.if this is not something she has always done maybe she will grow out of it as she matures.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your Dobermann whines because she has learned that it is a rewarding behavior, so unsurprisingly repeats it.

Put a long line on the pup's collar. Whining is unacceptable demanding behavior & denotes an issue brewing with leadership, because if the dog was clear you ranked above it, it would not be trying it on in this way to see how much it can get away with.

When the pup whines with no fuss or eye contact, give a one firm command, & tell it to hush. If the pup ignores you pick up the lead & give a quick snap on the lead to redirect the pup's focus away from what it was doing & back to you. As soon as the pup stops whining mark the behavior you want with praise.

Reward only the behavior you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to go with Megan, she is probably just whining for attention.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think she just knows that whining will get your attention, so she does it. When she whines, do you comfort her? Because then that would be the problem. She may be used to getting what she wants with this method.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could always try ignoring her when she whines, and when she stops whining, cuddle her like crazy. Never comfort her while whining, and make sure she always has something to chew on or play with while you aren't playing with her.