Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I work at a daycare and I have a child thats screams at the top of her lungs when

she comes in the door? and this goes on all day long..Nothing we do helps! At naptime she also does this and none of the other kids can get a nap..Any suggestions as to what we can do about this?

The mother says she is just spoiled...Which does not help us any! We've had other kids the same way but they quit after bout a week

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's attention seeking behavior. You need to have a talk with the parents about how to change it. Since it's attention seeking ignoring it tends to work best although doesn't produce instant results. It may take a few weeks for her to get the hint that it doesn't work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You must get these parents involved. If you have a child who has not become accustomed to the day care life, she needs some help. There is no way that a child can scream 'all day long' everyday!

Call her parents. She needs more attention and some additional care to adjust that only her parents can provide. You do not need that kind of headache. There are other day care facilities. Suggest one and let this one go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing I can think of is it gets her attention at home. By trying to quiet her she's getting attention (but still not her parent which might be why she doesn't stop) I would go with responding very calmly and mellowly that screaming isn't accepted and then let her work it out by herself. If the other kids are coloring she can set at the dollhouse and scream. If she stops ask right away if she'd like to come play nicely, if she does anything but walk over or ask a polite question give your attention to the kids who are behaving. If that's the only way to get your attention she should start to catch on and give up the screaming gig. You should address it right away to the mother that she's not happy and updated on her progress. You don't want her to think her child is ignored all day and it will give her an chance to decide if there's another place she'll be happier staying. As long as she knows there's a problem she should understand that it can't go on and you'll have to work to help the child outgrow it. She can't expect that you'll simply cope with her behavior or that any school in the future will accept it either.

Good luck

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing I can think of is it gets her attention at home. By trying to quiet her she's getting attention (but still not her parent which might be why she doesn't stop) I would go with responding very calmly and mellowly that screaming isn't accepted and then let her work it out by herself. If the other kids are coloring she can set at the dollhouse and scream. If she stops ask right away if she'd like to come play nicely, if she does anything but walk over or ask a polite question give your attention to the kids who are behaving. If that's the only way to get your attention she should start to catch on and give up the screaming gig. You should address it right away to the mother that she's not happy and updated on her progress. You don't want her to think her child is ignored all day and it will give her an chance to decide if there's another place she'll be happier staying. As long as she knows there's a problem she should understand that it can't go on and you'll have to work to help the child outgrow it. She can't expect that you'll simply cope with her behavior or that any school in the future will accept it either.

Good luck