Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a toy shih tzu whom was bleeding from the rectum & now is just whining a

little. what should i do? I took home to the vet about a week ago they told me nothing was wrong. when i took him back to Dr. Butchco office today because of the bleeding. they told me he had fluid in his lung & couldn't really breath.they couldn't tell me why he was bleeding they hope it was because he has parvo but that came back negative, the had no idea what was wrong there best answer they could come back with was that they wanted me to put him to sleep. I seen him at his best and i've seen him worse.. the lil fella looks like he;s just not ready to go. I decided to give him a chance to live. I believe if God wanted him to die he would have already taken him. I started feeding him pedialite, his vitamins and gave him some formula. He seems to be doing alot better!!! He even gets up on his own & when I call him he lifts his head..there no more bleeding and he has a bit of color to his gums now.Yet still occasionally he start whining. What do you think I should do to help him get better? do you think I made that right choose? Do anyone know of a better vet that could help this poor lil bam bam??

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go to the R.S.P.C.A.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Call the vet, and ask for a copy of his records. Then, take him immediately to a different vet. Tell them it is possibly an emergency.

The reason the vet "hoped it was parvo" is that older dogs have a good chance of surviving that with supportive care. However, if your dog does have fluid in his lungs, it could be a sign of heart problems, which needs to be cared for right away. Bleeding from the rectum could be many things, but if his gum color is not bubblegum pink, you really need to get this looked at straight away. He could have internal bleeding.

Do you have an emergency clinic in your area, if a vet can't get you in ASAP?

If he is whining, and this is abnormal, then he is in some sort of pain or discomfort. Is he panting or breathing heavily?

Please, go to another vet, and ask for a complete explanation of his situation. Pick up a copy of his records before you go, it will be very helpful to them in diagnosis.

I will be entering vet school next year, and vets that don't fully explain the situation to the owner's really irk me. Owners aren't fools, and they need to be completely informed of all possibly options and routes of treatment.

If your dog is in pain, please, consider euthanasia. It is not a horrible or cruel thing to do to an animal that is suffering. In fact, you will be able to remain with your animal, and he will know that he is loved. It can be incredibly cathartic. I just lost a 22 year old cat.