Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you stop a 2 year old Indian Ringneck from biting, screaming and

nibbling on your ears? I have a 2 year old female Indian Ringneck. We've got it from a friend and it's bites REALLY hurt! I have no clue why it bites everyone who trys to pet it or put their finger/hand near him, especially in her cage. It won't let you hold her on your fingers at all! It's so fustrating! I love her so much, but everyone wants to get rid of her! It's so stressful having a pet that likes you, comes on your shoulder but bites horribly, nibbles on your ears and doesn't let you hold her on your fingers! PLEASE HELP US!
    Well, actually, we think that his past family abused her, and please don't spam on my questions. Anyways, My mother is the most respected one to her. She lets her hold her and pet her, but she does this everyday. My IRN, CoCo just jumps on her then she holds CoCo to control her. She seems to be happy when she does that, I do too sometimes, but only if she is on my mom. And we feed her by hand also. She enjoys that, she can talk a bit too. But it's so hard to train her to not bite people!

I mean, she also screams for attention. We try to ignore that but all she does is scream and scream!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Give him time, lots of time! If he was not treated properly before, you have to allow him to understand his new family is a good one! He needs to learn to trust you. This will take time and patience! Don't rush it, or he will perceive you as being a threat, just as he has before. Bless it's heart- wonder how he was treated before? The screaming, ignore it! Do not pay any attention to him when he does it or you are reinforcing the negative behavior!

Regarding the other saying to tap it's beak- please don't!!!! This will reinforce the negative action with your hand, therefore teaching him to be afraid of your hand in general.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't allow him on your shoulder which will stop the one issue. The shoulder is an earned position. If he is flying, then clip his wings so that you have to pick him up to get to you.

She is in her home and is protecting it. That is why she is biting. She needs socializatin and training. Take her away from her cage and spend time with her there. If people want to pet her then you get her out of the cage and see if doing it away from the cage will help. Clipping her wings will also calm her down greatly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    stick it in the oven for an hour and then give it to your cat Yum Yum

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it bites you tap its beck and
    stick it in its cage and
    see what it will do