Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you get a Dachshund to stop whining/barking when you leave him?

My puppy seems to whine when we leave him. When we come back for him he just starts going to the bathroom everywhere. I mean most of the time he knows to go to the pee pads but he still ends up going in other places. Then he gives you the look like he knows hes wrong. And also how do you train him to give you his paw? He seems to just stare straight at the treat and not do anything at all. I try to grab his paw and say give me paw and tell him good boy but he seems to only concentrate on the treat.

Thanks in advance.

He is 6 months old. And I do not ever yell at him when he makes a mistake. I simply tell him NO in a stern voice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Puppies will do that just ignore him no matter what. Honestly my puppy did that so I went to the pound and got him a buddy now he never whines.
    You really should try to train your puppy to go outside...it more natural for them to do. When he starts to go on the floor say "NO" loudly and sternly. Immediately take him outside and say "go potty" nicely...if he goes potty outside say "good boy" and give him a treat.
    It sounds like you doing it right...just continue saying "Paw" grabbing his paw and giving him a treat and he will eventually get it.
    Good Luck

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good lord, what answers - hard to potty train???
    I've potty trained dozens of dachshunds, from puppies to old dogs that had never been in a house before. It takes patience, a schedule, positive reinforcement - NEVER yell or hit, never, just reward for getting it right.

You have a puppy, you don't say what age, but I assume quite young - puppies don't have much control over their elimination until 6 months at least, so you need to repeatedly take them out on schedule (after they eat - feed twice a day at least, plus treats at night )- every two hours or so if possible. If you can't watch him, baby gate him into a room where he can't do much damage.

You say he goes piddle everywhere when you come back to him - that's a sign of submissive piddling, you have frightened and confused him - stop it. Don't make a fuss or yell, clean it up and approach him calmly next time.
    He isn't giving you a look as if "he knows he's wrong", he's giving you a look to say "don't be mad at me, you scare me and I don't want you to be mad and scare me".

You are going to need to change your whole attitude if you want to raise a sane dachshund, not a dog who is a nervous wreck and biter due to fear. Please - go get the best book on dachshunds, their care and training, on the market "Dachshunds for Dummies" - our rescue has all first time dachsie adopters read it before they get their dog.
    Silly title, great book, very helpful and fun to read.

Now, stop listening to that nonsense about dachsies being hard to train, they are no harder than any other dog. You have to stop scaring and confusing the puppy. Stop trying to turn him into a trained dog when he is the equivalent of an infant - don't grab his paw either, do this gradually when he is old enough to know what you want.
    If you treat him kindly, he will want to please you and do what you want. If you scare him in his infancy, you are going to end up with a very messed up dog. Rehome him if you don't have the patience to raise him properly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    have you tried maybe just locking him in one room? ive heard these dogs are almost impossible to house train. ive got one that lives with my parents, shes 5 years old. we tried everything to house train her, my brother went a little extreme, but now she still uses the pads, we put them in the same place all the time. but when we leave the house for to long, or leave to many times she will pee on the floor, tear up the garbage in the bathroom, even to the extreme of chewing on clothes. in the summer when ever we left the house we would put her outside(my parents live on a farm) have you tried maybe a pet carrier? rewarding him for doing good, is a good start, but to get over the peeing where he is not suppose too. there are books and videos, its to late for my dog, but hopefully you find something that works. good luck!