Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you eliminate whining in a soon to be 3 yr. old?

My son is going to be 3 in Nov. and he whines allot for anything really if he doesn't get his way, or if I don't give him his requested drink fast enough, or shoot if the wind blows the wrong way...lol...It's quite annoying! I've tried the time outs and it works most of the time, I've tried swatting, a light spank and nothing seems to work. I really wish that I could break this awful habit he has grown so attached to. Has anyone gone through this and broken this annoying thing??

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, I'm going to assume you don't give him anything he wants when he whines, right? If he whines you are not getting his drink fast enough, etc. don't give him the drink period. when my 28 month old does this I take her down from the table all together and she gets the point. just remember...don't reward bad behavior. good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I definitely hear you...my little boy will be 3 in December and we get the same thing!
    Firstly, I am definitely not a fan of the time out or the swatting/spanking. This is not helping him or you and just adding to everyone's frustrations.
    What we do with our little boy is get down to his level and tell him "use your words" and ask/tell us properly and nicely what you want/don't want.
    This encourages communication, gets you down to their level and gets them listened to.
    I think toddlers get fed up of hearing"no" without an explanation. We always try to tell our little boy why he can't do/have something or why something can't happen straight away. Often I will find him repeating reasons back to his daddy so it definitely works.
    Good Luck.