follow the conversation? I've noticed a recurring problem when trying to deal with idiots. One common "tactic" they use in an argument is to forget what we were initially talking about, how the conversation started/what the original topic, and use their stupidity to derail the discussion this way. They'll claim that I started the fight when I clearly remember that they did, or they'll find ways to change the topic and act like it's all we were ever talking about.

My most recent example would be someone I was trying to collaborate with on a game development project. He suggested ripping graphics from an old 16-bit game and using them in his. I said no, there is no need to steal artwork, I know where to get artists who will work for us. Rather than just accepting this, the moron continued arguing with me for hours, bringing up points like "what is originality, really?" and "artists often use existing images in digital art, like stuff from nature, etc"

Eventually he conveniently forgot how the conversation started and started acting like the whole time it had been about me being against using stuff from nature to make art. I said well obviously using images from nature isnt plagiarism and I was never saying that. I then attempted to remind him how the conversation started, and that all I was ever opposed to was outright theft. He simply continues to act like he doesn't understand my problem, however. He once again brought up the same stupid arguments all over again.

Are there any methods or techniques that can be used to force someone to see reason and stop trying to derail the conversation and lead it in circles via oppressive stupidity?