Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I stop my puppy from whining in the mornings?

I've had my puppy for exactly a week and in the morning at around 6am she always wakes up and starts yelping for me to take her out. She sleeps in a puppy pen next to my bed. There's a dog bed that she sleeps on, and some training pads that she can pee on if she needs to.
    At about 7.30am I get up and put a jumper on, when she's quiet for 40 seconds I take her downstairs outside for her to pee, then I give her her morning meal. She is aware that she can pee on her training pad and she knows that I will take her out eventually.
    I was just wondering if there was any way of speeding up the process whereby she stops yelping so early? I mean I know I should ignore her and I do but is there a technical thing I can do, like for example give her half a banana the night before or something.. xD

Thanks for your help! :3

walking lady:
    I don't think that just because I have a puppy I can stop sleeping in the morning, my friends who have dogs sleep until when they want without problems. I've waited 3 years to get this dog, I know she's capable of waiting for me in the morning.

Junior Member walkingladyRIPTom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Part of having a young puppy is taking care of their needs. If you want to stay in bed late in the morning, you shouldn't have gotten a puppy. No, there's not "technical" thing to do - you get up and do things with your puppy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No you are doing exactly the right thing. Don't give into her whining and she will eventually get the routine and realize she needs to wait for you. My doggy got into the routine quite easily. Copper used to poked me in the face in the morning with his nose. But after me ignoring him he simply lays next to me now until I move and get up then he knows its time to go out and to eat. It all takes time and consistency. Good luck with your new pup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    did you ever think she wants you. maybe when she starts crying hold her for a couple minutes just like a baby