Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I stop my maltese from whining and barking at night?

My 10 month old maltese sleeps in a play pen with a cage in it. There are toys, water and a mat in the cage for it to sleep in if it wants to.
    I usually go to sleep once I am sure he is asleep as he tends to bark when i put him in the play pen to sleep.
    However, just a few minutes after i close my room door, Toby would be awake and standing up its play pen, whining and barking.
    The more i ignore his whining and barking, the louder he will get.
    I'm afraid it will disturb the neighbours.
    What am I suppose to do?

Info:

toby is usually asleep and would not even lift his head up when i walk pass it. However, the moment I am out of sight, he would be wide awake and jumping about in his cage.
    Once in a while he would wake up to change positions, I believe that is usually when he will notice there is no one around and would start to whine and bark.
    I really don't want to disturb the neighbours and my other family members will really be irritated. There was one time one of my family member had to stay with him til 3am in the morning before she could finally sleep without him barking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My puppy used to do that. If when it barks you go and play with it (until it sleeps etc.) it will learn that unless it barks a lot you won't come. You have to ignore it for a few nights until it notices it's all in vain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know it is difficult but you have to totally ignore the puppy when he whines/barks.

The more he learns that doing this gets your attention, the more he will continue to do it.

Before you put him in his playpen for the night, make sure you take him out to the toilet so that you know he isn't whining/barking for this reason.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here you go: http://www.puppytipsblog.com/puppy-barking/how-do-i-stop-my-puppy-from-barking-and-whining

Hope this helps =]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try bringing him into your room at night with the crate . He obviously doesnt like being along , he probably does it when you are not home.
    Try that if it doesnt work you can talk to you vet.Hope i helped!~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why not crate train him right, and get him out of that play pen. You might try then, putting his crate in your room where he can see you of a night, or, if his housebreaking and flea control is in good shape let him sleep with you. Maltese are lap dogs and love to be held and cuddled. He's wanting attention.