Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do i make my african grey stop screaming?

she hangs on her toy and screams SO SO loud.

and flaps her wings and just scream VERY loud.

why does hse do this and how do i stop it?

THANBSKS~!2

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are many reasons a parrot screams. She could just be enjoying herself- especially when she is playing with her toys.
    How much time are you spending with her? How many toys does she have? Are they changed regularly? Does she live in an area of the house where she can see you most of the time?
    African Greys are highly intelligent birds and get bored very easily- she needs a tonne of different toys that can be changed regularly so she doesnt get bored with them. She should have a varitey of different toys, especially ones that challenge her mind.
    This should be for her entertainment when you are not there.
    African Greys will bond to one person- that person should be you- she wants to be with you all of the time, and you should interact with her as much as you possibly can.
    She should be kept in the room you are in the most- the loungeroom eg. Where she can see the comings and goings of the family- birds yell out when they are looking for the rest of their flock.
    Yelling at her in these situations is only going to make the problem worse because she will get excited and start to yell back.
    African Greys are particularly good at annoying behaviours- they seem to learn really quick what their people hate and work with that! If they want something, or if they want you to know their distaste for something and you dont come running soon, they will use that annoying thing against you.
    She might be telling you shes bored, shes enjoying herself, she wants to know where you are, she wants to be with you- it depends on the situation. You can certainly try to prevent as much screaming as possible by providing her with plenty of activities, spending heaps of time with her, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This might help:
    http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/screaming.html

I personally think that building a better bond with the parrot and giving it plenty of things to might help.

I hope your parrots problem is fixed soon!