Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I keep my dog from whining?

My dog whines for everything. Maintenance just showed up so I had to close her in a room so she wouldn't bother them... but now she won't stop whining. She just cries and cries and doesn't stop.

I'm not sure if it's better to just ignore her and hope she'll self-soothe, or how I should go about correcting her. If I run in and yell "NO!" she stops for about 20 seconds, but then continues again. In similar situations like this, I've tried just ignoring it, but she never gives up.

Also, whenever she doesn't want to do something I want her to do (like if I need her to get out of the car) she screams and cries and makes an awful noise like I'm trying to kill her, without me even touching her! It's embarrassing. People around me think I'm abusing her.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get her to be quiet?

Downloads
    Uploads
    He's like a child throwing a fit when he doesn't want to do something. Make him do it then reward him for the right behavior. When he whines at home for no reason ignore it when he stops praise and reward the good behavior. Give your self a second or two of silence before giving him the reward.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first thing to do to stop a dog from whining is to determine what situations bring on the behavior. When you take your dog to his sleeping area at night, give him a small treat and praise before leaving to positively reinforce his behavior. If your dog whines when he’s in the room with you, the best response is to ignore him until the whining stops. Prevent boredom.

Downloads
    Uploads
    are you sure the poor thing isn't ill ?