Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I eliminate an alternator whine from my car stereo amp install ?

I installed a "Crunch" pzi 550.5 amplifier in my pickup. all went well it's currently set up to power 4 in cab speakers as well as a 5th channel to power the sub-woofer, an audiobahn 8"..
    all works well but I have an alternator whine at low volume when the truck is running. I added audiopipe ground loop isolators to no avail.
    I'm hoping there is a simple answer to eliminating this annoying noise.
    All input is welcome.

thanks in advance,
    Sparky.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most cars have a little transistor usually grounded under the hood to cut out electrical interference noise from being heard. I would try locating that and replacing it. If that does not work you can also purchase a ground loop isolator that can help cut out some noise but haven't had the greatest luck with them. However I have had others tell me they work great for them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    there are various ways you can solve this radio interference. You call that Radio Interference when you hear a whining sound like that.

You can connect a grounding wire from the amplifier chassis or body or the negative terminal of your AMP to the ground of your car.

You can buy a capacitor (0.5uF / 150 volts) from electronic parts store i.e Radio Shack and connect the capacitor between the output of your alternator and the negative side or body such as bolts of your alternator. An auto-electrician can do that for you if you don't like to experiment.

You can purchase a noise eliminator for around $10 to $30.00 a piece. Here is the website http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/noisefilters.html

Hope this helps solve your interference.