Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How can I stop my puppy from barking, whining, etc in his carrier on the train?

Nico is a 6 month old Yorkie who we got almost a month ago. When we first got his carrier I worked with him for a few days before actually using it to help him feel calm inside and keep silent and soon he began jumping in tail wagging and excited without any problem. He even didn't mind at all when I carried him outside with him in it(for some reason he goes nuts when I roll it instead) The problem is when he's inside his carrier on the train he starts barking and whining and "digging" trying to get out. I put toys in there before we leave so he can have something to do but he ignores them. I ignore him completely but still nothing. I can't keep him on his harness and in my lap since he squirms too much. I want to be able to take him to nicer areas and the dog bark without being frustrated and embarrassed at the end of the day. I need some advice please and thank you

Downloads
    Uploads
    he is still pretty young so it may just take some time ... when i first brought my dog on transit in a carrier when she was young to go to her obedience classes, she too would whine and everyone in the bus would be looking around to see where the noise was coming from, it was embarrassing ... i started exercising her before going on transit rides in her carrier which i think helped ... i would have the carrier between my feet and i would not talk to her but if she made noise i jostled the carrier with my feet ... it really did not take long for her to get the idea ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try keeping him on a harness instead and when he gets squirmy start feeding him to get his concentration away from the squirming.

Downloads
    Uploads
    it is extremely hard to train that. but it helps to put a blanket over the kennel. =) hope it helps!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You cant make him stop. Only way to fix his issue is for you to ignore it and that needs to start with practice before the train. Anyway to simulate a train ride?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The movement or noise of the train may bother him. Try giving him a Kong stuffed with something he really likes. Work on sit/stay so that he may settle down in the carrier or behave in your lap.