Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

High pitch whining/humming coming when I turn water off?

I have a high pitch humming or whining sound when I turn water on or off in my house. When I turn it on, the sound is less loud, but when I turn the water off I get this high pitch humming sound that swells into a louder sound before getting silent again. It seems like a vibration in the pipes.

Best I can tell is that is is coming from near the main water line running from the street into my basement. In the past I've been able to stuff some paper towels around the pipe where it comes through the foundation to lessen the vibration and the sound goes away.

It has been gone for a couple years now, but is back...no luck getting it to go away. I can make the sound go away if I turn off the main water valve into the house. In fact it stops immediately even if in "mid-sound". Of course, I need that open to have water in the house!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the water pressure is low also, you might have a leak and the whining is the air escaping thru it. If you have normal pressure, then i dunno.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the water pressure is low also, you might have a leak and the whining is the air escaping thru it. If you have normal pressure, then i dunno.