Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help regarding neighbour complaining about noise from piano?

I live in a block of flats and there are 3 floors with 3 flats on each floor. Directly under me an old man, then under him is an alcoholic that plays music loud at silly times.

My question is it is a council flat so can anything happen if I was to be reported about the noise?? I only play earliest 10am til 7pm never later. I would like to know where I stand should they complain.
    I've measured the sound its 95DB on the loudest on one of the keys. I got a friend to play a song and i stud outside the flat couldn't hear a thing, same as when I stud on the second and first floor aswell as outside I couldn't hear anything.

I have just started playing the piano, I can mainly play lightly row, white rose of Athens, Michael row the boat, old mcdonald, bye bye love, kum bah yah, grand old duke of york, oh when saints go marching in etc etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the old man below is approachable, talk to him & ask if your playing is a problem.
    If there are complaints, you will get plenty of warnings before anything is done. I think they have to measure the sound levels to provide evidence that the sound is above the acceptable level for a given time of day.
    The best solution is to talk to your neighbour & sort it out if at all possible. It sounds to me like the alcoholic is the one who will get reported first anyway.

Junior Member boblittle@sbcglobalenet's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i need more answers to my question, please: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Au3aGDVct0C6.C7giga0QzMjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid =20110917021956AAPaFQF

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a musician myself I would be inclined to tell him to f*** off. But that would be silly. Have a chat with him and perhaps get him involved. You never know perhaps he's always wanted to play piano. I know how irritating it can be for others when one is practising I get told off by my partner. The council might take action if the man complains enough. So as I've said talk to him and come to some sort of agreement. As for the alchoholic, try having a chat but I doubt it will do any good. By the way what sort of stuff do you play?