Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Happy Friday R&P! Question (+ rant) for influential rock (especially Nirvana) fans?

Today at the doctors office i was waiting and picked up a magazine called "Fashion Rocks". I flip a few pages and their is Chris Cornell....in a phone advertisement (I didn't stick my gum on his face BTW, that magazine is not my property so that would be wrong.) But If I where to do that it would be because I love soundgarden, yes because i love them. I think it sucks that Chris went from being who he was in soundgarden/temple of the dog to being a justin timberlake wanna be. I kept flipping though and i saw two models in a Nirvana shirt and flannels. I kept flipping though and their was an article about Kurt Cobain, remember this is a fashion magazine.

Obviously Kurt would have hated being in a fashion magazine. Just like he would have hated people making converses inspired by him or a movie. So that pissed me off.

So my question to you is do your favorite bands ever get exploited by the advertising industry or in general? I see tons of kids wearing Led Zeppelin,Nirvana, The Ramones, or Pink Floyd shirts who don't even listen to them. When you see your favorite bands being exploited, especially because they are no longer around so they cant defend themselves how do you react?
    how nice of yahoo to provide another exsample

"Kurt Cobain Diet
    I lost 30 lbs by following the 1 diet rule Kurt Cobain uses.
    www.mycelebdietblog.com"

Thats funny because Kurt Cobain didn't diet. In fact he didn't like how thin he was.

Ah the irony.

Junior Member Lil'LilytmTheBravery's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a massive, massive fan of fashion. I used to be a TC in Fashion and Accessories for a very long time until last November. I haven't bothered regaining the badge yet, lol.

So, I have a subscription to Teen Vogue magazine and back in September I recieved 'Fashion Rocks' along with that month's issue.

Yes, I saw the Chris Cornell Verizon Wireless advertisement, featured along with Gym Class Heroes and Bow Wow. I was like, WTF? Is he that desparate now? I can't believe he would do that.

He also performed at the Fashion Rocks show as well as part of this Timbaland segment, along with the Pussycat Dolls and OneRepublic. I was just thinking, what is he doing, being on the same stage as PCD and Timbaland? Chris owns ALL of them! Does he not realize that Timbaland is turning him into another Justin Timberlake?

And there was also that Kurt Cobain article too.....plus, there was this article about Tokio Hotel and the writer considered them to be a 'grunge-inflected emo' rock band. I was like, Are you in your right mind??????? There's nothing grunge about them!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I feel bad.
    I feel bad for Kurt. If he wanted to be some big fashion icon, he probably would have been one. Intentionally.

I wear flannel because it's warm, and comfy. Not to make a fashion statement, not to be a little Kurt-fan girl. Because I've been wearing it since I was about 10.

[Wait...Chris's face was left gumless?! What?! He deserves it. ><]

My mom almost bought me the converse. Ugh. No thanks. Kinda disrespectful, eh?

---

I saw someone wearing a Nirvana hoody today, actually.
    So I striked up a Nirvana convo, and they weren't clicking into it.
    "What? It's ok to eat fish..WHAT?!"
    Turns out this chick was vegan. And me innocently quoting "Something In The Way" got me nearly bitch-slapped.

THEN!
    This girl was trying to talk to me about Nirvana.
    And she said her favorite song by Nirvana was "The Man Who Sold The World."
    I asked her who she thought it was by.
    "Nirvana, of course!!!"
    I'm in the wrong time period.
    Help me, Almighty Layne. ]: