Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    flamespeak

Flamespeak has a tired rant. Would you like to see it?

Something that frequently gets under my skin with society, not just America's society, but the social collective of the bulk of the world, is the fact that many people place associate intelligence with morality and kindness.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!

Intelligence means someone is adapt at learning and obtaining information, it does not have anything to do in the slightest with someone's morality or mental state. An murder can be highly intelligent and the person that saves you from a burning building maybe dumb as toast, which is the better person?

Not all people have the same train of thought on intelligent people being somehow better than others, but enough do that it is a problem. Intelligence will not make you happy, it will not make you suddenly become charitable, it will not make you go do the right thing, and it doesn't make you better than anyone else.

"I would rather be in a peacful world of imbeciles than a war-torn world of geniuses." - Flamespeak
    Untamed,

A little. Wasted breath for many, I am aware.
    TERA,

correct. I got a theory that the brain can only hold so much information before it has to start getting rid of stuff. That is why some of the smartest people on earth have had the least amount of common sense.
    Untamed,

I am not saying it is bad and it can be a very valuable tool when properly utilized, or a dangerous one when used irresponsible. I have had this line of reasoning for a long time and it rears its head when I see people preach about intellegence being some kind of golden trait for determing the worth of an individual.

Downloads
    Uploads
    HAHAHAHAHAHA History will write itself. The writers are on crack!

Tera
    I'd also like to add that intelligence is not always positively correlated with common sense.

In fact, intelligence is a dangerous thing when it exists in a person who lacks good judgment.

How do I know this?

My own life experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    feel better???
    I agree with you that intelligence and moral are two very separate issues. Most serial killers are in the genius level.

but I think intelligence isn't something to under value either.
    wanting/finding a mate of equal intelligence is more likely to lead to a happy and successful relationship.

and...(where I'm guessing your getting this rant from)
    a good leader while moral and kind is more then likely intelligent as well.