Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

fighting in hockey (NOT a rant)?

I looked for the article for a few minutes, and I'll add it later if I find it...

But they are thinking about forcing players to wear their helmets during fights. What are your opinions on this?

I think in a way it is a good idea--more protection, less serious injuries. But in another way it is a stupid idea...what about players that have visors on their helmets? There are players with visors that get into fights, and this would be a very idiotic advantage. The rule would be that the refs have to step in if a player takes off a helmet.

I don't know, it seems like it would be overall a bad thing. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    the only way i will suport this rule is if they make visors snapon or velcro but that has problems to .....leave hockey alone

Downloads
    Uploads
    the only negative in the discussion is broken hands and fingers...

Junior Member EriclComeonAvsttt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah, visors would be a problem. that would suck to watch a player fight with that on, its not as fun to watch. Its and okay idea but they need to fix this visor issue

Downloads
    Uploads
    the only negative in the discussion is broken hands and fingers...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with you on offering more protection and the concern over visors.

Was the article saying if they took them off themselves or does it include if they just come off (kind of like the good ole Rob Ray rule and jerseys)?

If helmet just coming off ends up included in the rule then I think it would be an impossible thing for the NHL to enforce. Especially the part of linesmen jumoing in ASAP. More often than not you see linesmen stand back until the players tire (or tie each other up and stop swinging) or hit the ground. One of the reasons they do that is to avoid getting hit/hurt trying to break up a fight. I am not sure how they could stop a fight in the middle of full blows, especially when one good punch causes a player to loose his helmet, as they are swinging away. I doubt the players are suddenly going to be gentlemen and stop punching because a helmet came off. The NHL knows this as well.

Being that this would be very difficult to enforce as is... I would bet if it becomes a rule it will first be developed with stiffer penalties included that would punish players/coaches enough to the point that they think twice before fighting, like automatic game misconducts, suspensions, fines to coaches, etc. I think the NHL is trying to find a way to eliminate fighting from the game without looking like the bad guy to fans but rather find a way to let it phase itself out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree Its word by word Detail on what happened, a bad Thing NO Did someone get hurt YES Taking off your Helmet does create Injury during a Fight, Head Trauma Doesn't need any Drama.