Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fan for air vents working, but very little air getting through into car??

MKIV Golf...? I know the question doesn't make sense without an almighty explanation added to it, so here it is...

Basically, when I turn on the heater or the fans in general in my 1998 VW Golf, the fan whirs away like a mad thing but very little air gets into the car. The car does not have A/C.

The heater is working perfectly and the air can be directed where needed. Also, all the dials for the air (i.e. 0,1,2,3 and 4) are all working fine and the fan increases speed as expected. However, the amount of air getting into the cabin of the car is pathetic.

I reckon that there must be an air filter somewhere in the car that's blocked with leaves etc. and needs to be cleaned/replaced.

Would anyone know where the filter is so I can clean it out? Also has anyone ever suffered from a similar problem with their car.

The same amount of air (very little) comes out of the vents regardless of where they are pointing (i.e. face, floor, windowscreen etc)

It sounds like there is definitely air trying to get through because when fan is on max the whole car vibrates with the rotating of the fan.

Downloads
    Uploads
    we had this happen on a jeep when on holiday, it turned out to be a dead rat inside the tube, it was in there, we turned on the engine and aircon and it was strangles as it had it's head in the fan blades, think it was trying to get in as there was food in the car.

it's possible that the intake vents are blocked, or the fan inside is damaged, the fins on it could be cloged or broken making the air flow innefective.

when you switch vents (IE floor, windscreen) does it make any diffrence? dose the other vents push out a lot of air? are they all as week as each other when switched?

it's a bit of work to open up the dash and get to the fans and vents to clean them out, so it might be best to take the car to a garage and have them look.

Edit_

ours vibrated when on full aswell, there was a rat in there, i'd suggest that you get it looked at, especially if it's just happened, becuase if it's a mouse or something then it's goign to start to rot and stink out the car, making it a very messy process to get out.