Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

engine making whining noise and car will not start?

I have a 1999 Kia Sportage. It was leaking anti-freeze and overheating. Now it's a whining sound coming from the engine and it won't start. Please don't tell me that I've blown the engine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you overheat an engine alot of things can go wronge, the worst is it seizing up. If your car still turns over then it's not seized. You could also have warped the head or warped he exhaust manifold. If you warped the head you may get coolent in the oil which will turn it white like milk, or coolent in the cylinder causing the engine to seize.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should take it to a mechanic to get it check for leeks and get them fix. It could be the starter that is bad and you need to get it replace. Starters are mostly underneath the engine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    you have probably blows your head gasket,.. Visit your repair shops for maintenance to avoid this kind of problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a bad head gasket or bad timing belt/chain. Hopefully that whining sound when you turn the key is a defective starter or a worn flywheel. Have it checked out for sure by any ASE certified repair shop, it is difficult for me to guess/ diagnosis online.
    good luck......

Downloads
    Uploads
    sometimes when an engine overheats the compute rwill not let the car start until properly reset to ensure the issue which cause the overheat is rectified to avoid more damage than already caused

Downloads
    Uploads
    sounds like the starter. it,s just sitting there and spinning and not kicking into the flywheel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you drove the car to long while the temp Gage was high, it's possible you blow the head gasket(s), which would explain why it's whining... Many times it will not start right after it over heating, and sometimes hours after... Once it's cooled down enough it should start... Also the easiest way to check if the heads did blow, check the dipstick to see If it looks milky, if so that means the coolant and engine oil mixed together, which means the head(s)probably blew... This doesn't mean your entire engine is out, just the gaskets, which can still be an expensive jobs... For your type of car prices to repair could range from $900-$1600, depending on where you take it... Have it inspected and get a proper diagnoses