Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dog barks and whines when I leave my apartment?

I have a one-year-old Pit Bull/Weimaraner mix who barks, whines, and howls every time I leave my apartment. It's so bad that another resident passed by my unit, heard the noise, and thought she was hurt. He contacted my landlord to get in touch with me. She also pees by the front door often, even if I take her outside right before I leave (and I'm only gone an hour or two). She has dozens of toys, so I don't feel that boredom is the issue--more like separation anxiety. I live in an urban area, so she doesn't get to run around in a backyard, but I do try to take her to the dog park most days to get exercise.

Some other facts--she's not crate trained and I do not want her to be. It's a VERY last resort since I'm not keen about putting a large dog in a crate if she can be trusted in the house (she's not destructive).

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop the whining and barking when I leave? I also punish her for peeing by the door by pointing at the pee, yelling "NO!", spanking her, and ignoring her for a little bit, but she continues to do it. Thanks for any help!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this might sound silly, but I believe it's separation anxiety. I have a 10 month old lab who is completely house broken and has never torn anything up besides newspapers, magazines, and stuff like that. He also has a whole basket of toys and two other dogs for company. However when we leave it's like he gets mad and tears up any paper that he can find. Whether it's bills or books even, he destroys them.

I have tried a couple of different things.. Um I leave the tv on now when I leave. I think the voices make him think that someone is physically here when no one actually is so he doesn't tear things up. Also I try not to pay much attention to him before I leave. This way he is in a playful or attention wanting mood so he is calmer and he doesn't seem as mad when I return because it's not like I just stopped paying attention to him and left suddenly.