Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does an A/C unit need a closed door or a vented one? or none at all?

We Have two central a/c units in our 5 bedroom house. The upstairs one is in the Laundry room and has no vent on the door. we Noticed it pulls the door shut when it goes on. I figure this means the a/c unit needs to intake air, so I prop the door open and have been asking my mother to get a door with a vent so that I can Install it. She has vehemently refused and closes the door whenever she finds it open. she swears it Costs more money leaving it open, and makes the a/c work harder. who's right? by the way, the downstairs one has a vent in the door but you can still feel the pull if you open it while it is running.

I forgot to mention the a/c unit is in it's own room in the Laundry room. It's that Door that I am referring too. NOt the Laundry Room Door, although this pulls hard as well when the A/c is running and I have propped the A/c door open.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a central a/c system, air moves under pressure from the a/c fan cabinet through the supply ductwork into the rooms and then from the rooms through the return air ducts back to the fan.

Air being sucked into the a/c room through the doorway can happen if:
    1. the nearest return air opening is in the a/c room
    2. the return air side of the ductwork in the a/c room has an air leak - and it would have to be a big one to pull enough air to hold a door closed
    3. your return air ducts are partially blocked, preventing normal circulation - dirt-filled filters in the ducts or in the a/c cabinet are the main cause

Check your ductwork for blockage and/or for air leaks. You do not need vented doors.