Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do I have a right to argue this parking ticket?

I'm not sure, that is why I ask, if I have any legal back-up that I can use to argue a parking ticket. I am a senior student at a university, and due to the fact that my last two classes were not offered at the university in the evening (as I have a job as a software developer in the day), I petitioned and was permitted to take the two courses are a nearby community college.

The college is not located in the city, and after enrolling in the college, I did not receive a welcome package. I only got a letter saying I was accepted and that I could enroll in classes.

I drive to school and there are no gates to get into the parking lots. The parking lots do not have parking meters, and they did not have any signs (except in the faculty spots) stating that I could not park. So I did. I parked for 2 weeks, and then last night I got out of class and there was a ticket with a fine because I did not have a hang-tag permit. I noticed that half the other cars around me did not either, and two others also had a ticket under their wiper.

So, a) I was not properly informed by the school that I needed a hang-tag. b)There was not security guard/gate checking for hang-tags when you pull into the lot. c) There were no signs in the parking lot stating that a permit/pass/tag was required.

Because of their "lack" of ability to communicate the guidelines, am I at an advantage when it comes to beating this fine?

I understand that: "I didn't know" isn't a valid argument...IF...and only IF they took the proper channels to communicate the rules. They, in my opinion, did not.

What is your opinion. If you feel I can argue it, do you have any resources or links from online that I can use in my defense?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can argue it, but you will lose. First of all, it is YOUR responsibility as a student to go find out. That's one of the things you agree to when you enroll in classes. Second, they don't have to have a gate or a security guard.

The only argument you have that /might/ work is the "no sign" argument. But, again, it is still your responsibility to find out where you can and cannot park. Also, if you know you are on campus when you park there, you will probably be deemed to have constructive knowledge that you'd need a parking permit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would be AMAZED if they did not have signs up explaining that permits were needed to park. If they TRULY did not have any signage, you caould try fighting the ticket. You'll almost certainly lose, but you could try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    c.) gives you some basis.

The rest is all nonsense the judge doesn't care about.

Generally, judges require parking spots to be marked on public property or a sign near by indicating they are reserved, unavailable at certain hours, etc.

Make a video of the area where you parked so you can prove, "there are no signs here or at the entrance to this lot, etc"