Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Christians: Do you realise how bizarre it seems from the outside to see you

argue with one another because of? your different denominations? It is still the same god and same book for all of you isn't it?
    Why do so many Christians take an adversarial stance against Catholics (who are Christians too in my book)? Admittedly catholics tend/appear not to strike out at you quite as much, but it seems so pedantic, petty and odd to me.
    Why all the in fighting, squabbling and attempts at scoring points from one another?

To take it a step further I have similar thoughts when I see Muslims argue with Christians and vice versa, it's mere geography, who the most 'pop' deity is in their neck of the woods, same crap really though.

Such similar mindsets and still you squabble, why?
    Panda Restauranteur: No more so than anyone else.

Jason: I have a pretty good life.
    Wrenage: Thanks for being frank.
    Warrholm: I certainly can and do differentiate between religon and faith.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, belief in God and of his Son, Jesus the Christ, clearly is insufficient to be approved.

James 2:19 (American Standard Version)

19 Thou believest that God is one; thou doest well: the demons also believe, and shudder.

and...

Matthew 7:21-23 (American Standard Version)

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

YHWH/ JEHOVAH had a chosen nation [Exodus 19:6], descendants of Abraham with whom He had a covenant.

Exodus 19:6 (American Standard Version)

6 and ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Now this remained until the Jews rejected the Messiah, Jesus, then the New Covenant was convened, with those who were baptized in water and sealed with holy spirit, who will be born again to make up Spiritual Israel, New Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 31:31-34 (American Standard Version)

31 Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith Jehovah.

33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith Jehovah: I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people:

34 and they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know Jehovah; for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith Jehovah: for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin will I remember no more.

True to His promise to Abraham, through the seed, Jesus the Christ, ALL nations of the earth will be blessed.

Galatians 3:16 (American Standard Version)

16 Now to Abraham were the promises spoken, and to his seed. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Acts 10:34-35 (Contemporary English Version)
    34Peter then said:

Now I am certain that God treats all people alike. 35God is pleased with everyone who worships him and does right, no matter what nation they come from.

Only those who worship in spirit and truth are approved.

John 4:23-24 (Contemporary English Version)
    23But a time is coming, and it is already here! Even now the true worshipers are being led by the Spirit to worship the Father according to the truth. These are the ones the Father is seeking to worship him. 24God is Spirit, and those who worship God must be led by the Spirit to worship him according to the truth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you not aware that scientists squabble? My gosh they try to upstage each other, argue among each other about the details. Certainly you are aware of that.

Family members squabble all the time. Brothers fight brothers, sisters against sisters, cousins against cousins. Parents argue with their kids and kids roll their eyes at their parents. That is exactly what is happening within Christianity in terms of the various sects. It is very true that they often don't even realize how much they have in common. You may really be amazed to know that there are squabbles in fundamentalism. Did you know that Bob Jones and Jerry Falwell argued with each other?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Catholics and Protestant have different Bibles, with a different number of books, etc. Even amongst Protestants, the teachings within the books are often seen differently, even in structure. For instance, how the ten commandments are divided up is different for many sects.

What such disagreement does is severely undermine the claim that the "holy spirit" will help a believer interpret the Bible "properly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does make it the whole thing seem awfully confusing. If it were really possible to communicate with the creator of the universe, you'd think everyone would be getting the same message. Interesting how there are a billion different interpretations of who "God" actually is if they all claim to be talking to him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In any serious endeavor there will be partisanship. Politics, religion, arts... People are social animals, but also tribal animals who like to divide into smaller groups.

Senior Member NoChanceWithoutJesus's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any more odd than to see co-workers argue over the small details

that's all we're tussling with the small details.

Glad we could entertain you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's the difference between having faith in God (spirituality) and a vested interest in a political movement (religion).

We (Abrahamic faiths) have the same God - but there is economic, social and political power attached to the community (religion) that one belongs to, and that is where the squabbling begins.

Unfortunately, to the outsider, you do not see the difference (either ignorantly or willingly) between faith and religion, and paint all with the same dismissive brush.

Downloads
    Uploads
    GOD, Tells us that HIS Word will not be added to or taken away from. We are not to pray to Idols. Look into Crystal balls. Or keep dragons in our homes.

That's why all the squabbling. Just about every Christian Religion has it's own Bible. And they even go so far as to make up silly rules? Saying there from GOD! That's a no no. There is only one Bible and it's GOD breathed. It is called The Holy Word of GOD. These who change Christs Religion to suit themselves? Are going to be sorry.

It sure is sad that Christians cannot join forces and get along. What a World this would be.

God Bless Ya,
    Chicago Bob
    imasinner

There is more joy in Jesus in one day.
    Than there is in the World 365/24/7
    I know, I tried them both.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can only respond with wisdom from the bible:

2 Peter 2:22
    Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and,
    "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

Read the bible. There is so much to learn from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast