Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Blood Test phobic. Is it ok if i scream & cry ?

I'm 16. Mum is taking me for a Blood Test.
    I'm scared of needles & always scream & cry.

Will the nurse be angry if i Scream & Cry ? What if i pull my arm away ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm the same way. I'm 20. It's embarrassing, but sometimes blood tests have to be done. I also get extremely sick afterwards and puke and pass out. I've found that if they have you lie down (most blood test places have dentist chairs where you can lie down) and close your eyes and have someone talk to you about normal every day stuff while it goes on that it helps. Inform the person taking your blood before hand that you are terrified of needles. This way they know to expect you to jerk your arm away, etc that way they are extremely careful and don't hurt you. They may also have some techniques that help. Try really hard not to scream because it may scare little kids that are in the waiting room, if you focus on not screaming and not flinching, it makes it a bit easier because you can focus on something other than the needle. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    when i ahve to get a blood test i get this numbing cream and it makes it easier it eases the pain. because i freak about it too. just talk to your mom to call your doctor and they will prescribe it for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Absolutely! I'm also afraid of needles, although I've been able to tolerate them since I was 18 or so, but I still get incredibly anxious.

A fear of needles is very common, so the nurses are used to these circumstances. Just tell them ahead of time, and usually they'll do something to make it easier. I remember once they got another nurse to hold my hand and talk to me to distract me, and it was incredibly helpful. I think this is a common practice.

Go ahead and react how you will, the nurses won't be angry, and I'm sure you'll be okay. Remember, the waiting is the worst part.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They'll have seen EVERYTHING before at the doctor's so I wouldn't worry.
    My friend passed out (don't worry about it happening to you, she has a blood condition) and they know how to deal with most things.

Try not to pull your arm away though, they might inject you somewhere else - that's a scarier thought so bear that in mind!

You'll be fine, just don't watch the needle going in.

Being scared of needles is REALLY common so don't worry. My friend's dad faints when you show him a picture of one....

Downloads
    Uploads
    i had 8 large tubes of blood taken from me when i was preg..im a little underweight & not soppose to give blood on top of being scared of needles . i was so close to fainting i got hot & sweaty everything got blurry i coudent make words & my head was spinning fast. threw all that i knew that if i ripped my arm away it woud of been worse.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well there's no problem with crying, but try not to scream. Definitely not pull away your arm. That could actually hurt you. Just close your eyes and have a conversation with the nurse. Before you know it, the needle will be in and out again.

Don't worry, relax and you'll be fine. Trust me.

Good luck! x

Downloads
    Uploads
    haha.
    it's not that bad. :]

my nurse thinks i'm insane, because last time she drew blood i couldn't stop laughing. no joke, i was giggling uncontrollably trhough the whole thing. :]

i promise it doesnt hurt, hahaha