Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

is it better block unused vents to the rooms not being used?

the house is 1500sq.feet i use the living room,kitchen and bedroom on the other side. there are 3 bedrooms 2 baths and hallway not used on the other side i put a sheet to block that side off am i doing right by this

i did block vents with aluminum foil and closed them off i use the sheet just to block the other side it does not have a door

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the same thing in my home but I installed a door to the hallway. I have the vents closed and just heat the part of the house I use.
    The door was easy to install on the opening.
    http://forum.doityourself.com/doors-windows/304524-installing-door-hallway-dimensions.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't make it so cold on that portion of the house that the pipes freeze. You want to keep the temp there about 52 degrees. Close the vents or block them with something solid. Keep the cold from creeping into the living areas with an actual door if you can. Always keep an eye on that 1/2 of the house to make sure it doesn't go below the 52 mark.

If you can not put in a door a blanket would be better. Or find a set of rubberized curtains.

Downloads
    Uploads
    By "vents" are you referring to the heater/AC vents in the ceiling for the central heating/AC system ?? If so, there should be a lever on each one that can be used to open / close the vent and these can be closed when the room is not being used. Using a sheet to block anything will have little effect as the sheet is too light and the air will go thru

Junior Member Mason'sMomaDavid'sWIF's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why don't you close your vents to those other areas? You could also use a sheet or what have you to block the heat/cold coming from the areas to going into those areas. I've always heard that if you close the vents to any rooms that are not in use you can cut down your electric bill because the air/heat will blow harder in the vents that are open and you will either turn your air/heat up/down allowing the unit to be off and conserve energy. Good luck!