Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Joe T

For anyone complaining about the ending of "No Country for Old Men" read this.......?

Basically, the movie represents the random violence that exists everywhere in the world and how it can never be stopped.

Read the first answer (my other account) and you will understand it.

Joe T
    *This is the answer, SPOILER*

Chigurh walks away from the accident, not to be seen again.

In the end, Ed Tom (Jones) has already decided on retirement (life) rather than bringing the killer (Bardem) to justice. He knows he found the killer. The Sheriff retires because he realizes that the country he covers (south Texas) is No Country for Old Men. So in the end, he sits at the table and tells his wife about a dream: he heads into snowy, dangerous mountains (his life as a sheriff), and a man goes on ahead of him to await him (the killer still awaits). And then he woke up to the fact that in real life he was acting out this dream. So in the end, rather than live the nightmarish, lethal continuation of the dream, he wakes up to choosing the safer life of retirement. He has taken the lesson from his forcibly retired colleague in the wheelchair: a life of disability isn't worth it.

Actually, the Coen brothers left a big clue when Sheriff Ed Tom goes to the hotel room (behind the crime scene yellow tape) where the assassin, Chigurh, waits. Chigurh has shot the lock cylinder out, indicating to Ed that it's Chigurh's doing, and BOTH of them watch the other's movement in the reflection in the shiny lock tube. Ed Tom draws his pistol and enters for a search, and realizes the killer is still within, given the locked window in the far room.

"Momma, take this badge offa me, ... I feel I'm knockin on heaven's door." -- Bob Dylan, and it's beautifully captured on Jones' old, wincing face when he sits on the bed. So rather than shoot it out, he trusts the killer not to kill him, and he walks out, without pushing it to the point where the killer's other victims utter, "You don't have to do that."

So rather than risk his life, he lets go of capturing his quarry and retires.

Recall that the Sheriff is narrating the past at the beginning of the movie, a clue that he's still alive after the action of the rest of the movie.

Telling his wife of the dream is the final act of letting go of his job, and the movie screen goes black.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I've read before, Anton Chigurh is not actually behind that door. It was all in Ed Tom Bell's imagination. Great movie by the way. But I still would like to see Atonement win the Best Picture Oscar.