Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any advice about lab puppy that whines constantly in her kennel?

She is 6 weeks old (young I know). We put her in the crate at night and she whines basically ALL NIGHT. She also whines when she goes in during the day. I've tried treats and I DO NOT take her out until she settles down and is quiet (which takes ages), but she still gets very upset when she goes in. I praise her when she comes out and when she goes in. Nothing is working! It seems like most people's puppies love the crate from the get go. Anyone had success with getting a crate hating lab to become a crate loving lab? I would LOVE any advice! Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well if she is 6 weeks old that's really to young, she definitely misses her mom, you should always get a puppy once they are about 8 weeks. But if she is whining all the time you should blow a whistle in another room so that your puppy can hear it, and it should make her stop for a while because shes trying to figure out what the sound is, that's what I did with my puppy and it worked for her. Just don't yell at them or hit them, if you do they won't like you when they get older and they will be very shy around people.
    I hope that works congratulations on getting a puppy they are so much fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, your dog is quite young and that is probably contributing to her being upset with the crate. You're doing a lot of things right, but if you do a search for crate training on a search engine, you'll find a lot more info. I like this one: http://www.cratetraining.net

Good luck, and be patient - it takes time for dogs to adjust to being in a crate, especially when they're so young.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just keep trying it probably is because she is too young to be away from her mother yet 8-10 weeks is the ideal age. She could be having seperation anxiety. As she gets older it should get easier just keep praising her and giving her treats. Good luck.