Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another student is constantly complaining about money problems even though her...

...husband makes 3x what we do? So she is marrying this guy that is a lawyer and makes a ton of money compared to us graduate students and yet, she is constantly complaining how she has no money and can't even afford to eat lunch with us and sometimes asks us to pay for her. We don't understand how they together pull 80k a year and yet us grad students only make 20k. How do you deal with someone like that? Where the hell is their money going?

Downloads
    Uploads
    maybe they've got a lot of bills, or maybe the guy doesn't let her spend money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ooooh. My Dad made a lot of money. He was the comptroller at the company he worked for, which means he was the one that cut the checks and the one who's signature was on the checks. Because he cut his own checks, he was able to make it look like he was making less than he really was. He could hand a check to my mom that said $2000, when he'd really made $4000 but it was in 2 separate checks. Where was the other money going? To another woman. I'm not saying that's what's going on with your friend, but that's why my dad appeared to be making less than he really did.

It's possible that your friend's fiance is making more than what he's telling her and that he's doing something else with the rest of the money. If he's a lawyer he should be making way more than 80k, at least if that's their combined income. Unless he's fresh out of college or something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, my boyfriend and I make about that much a year and I'm still broke. I have 65K in student loans and my graduate school costs $25,000 for my program. That's a huge expensive. Coupled with housing costs, gas, car payments, food and utilities, we're not as well-off as we seem.

As for asking you to pay, it doesn't matter if she makes 20K or 100K, that rude for her to ask and you should never pay for anyone. I might pay for a close friend's meal on occasion, if I knew they were having a rough time. But, even if I made a ton of money, it's not my responsibility to feed someone else......ever.

So, it's not right for her to ask. But, it's not right for you to question why she's broke. You're all in grad school, that's expensive.......you should know that. With that income, she probably doesn't qualify for any special loans or anything. She's probably paying her tuition out of pocket.

Next time she asks, just say, "sorry, I'm broke right now, I can only afford this." If you're in grad school, grow a backbone. You should have told her this the first time and she wouldn't have keep asking!

Wait to you get into the real world and people start asking you to buy $20 popcorn for their kid's school fundraiser........do yourself a favor, learn to say no and move on!