Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

annoying whining sound from computer?

There is an infamous whining sound that many pc's have, my laptop in particular has this sound and it is driving me to the point of insanity. This is what is sounds like : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5xwSJJPoVY

My laptop is a HP pavilion dv6000. Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying sound before i go insane?
    this sound has existed since the day i bought it and many computers have it. A guy i knew tested this by going to individual stores and listening for this sound (for new computers) and the sound was there. I will try what was suggest below, however i highly doubt it is the fan. The screen itself causes this sound(indirectly of course). When the comp is in hibrination it makes no noise and it also for some reason makes no noise when you scroll up/down.

anyway i will look into this more.. however my headache is so big now that im not sure i even want to bother(caused by this )

thanks for the responses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That sound, is the little fan inside spinning. It's the fan that is connected to the Cooling Tube. It sucks air up through the Air Intake Duct. There are programs to slow the fan down, but this is not advisable.

Laptops have a poor cooling system to start with. Add to this, that all the hardware components are crammed into a little box. (The laptop case itself) Now add the fact that the Air Intake Duct is on the bottom of a laptop, and susceptible to sucking up foreign debris easily.

Dirt/Dust/Animal Hair/People Hair/Lint/Food Crumbs/Carpet Deodorizer/, you name it, get's sucked up in there. NO matter how clean a housekeeper you are!

This foreign debris collects on the Air Intake Duct 'grille', the duct itself, the fan's blades and fan hub, plus inside the Cooling Tube.
    Most laptops have a cooling tube that is the width of your finger, and a pencil height tall.

After a given time the debris collects on the fan blades and hub, and collects to one side. This unbalances the fan, and puts a strain on the fan bearings. Result? High pitch whining sound from the fan bearings.

Correction? Clean the cooling system. REALLY clean it, not just use a can of compressed air for computers, and shoot air up through the Air Intake Duct. And you may want to replace the fan. See if they also have a quieter model available. ('They' being a computer repair shop. Unless you want to search online, and replace the fan yourself)

1.Actual -> Maintenance and Service Guide, (Manual) from HP.com/Support
    This is the download page. It is a PDF file you download. It's small.
    3.28MB's After you download it, you can save it to your computer. This way, you can have it on your computer to look at anytime you want. Also you can burn it to CD, free up space on your computer, and look at it anytime you want.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1842155& lang=en&

Go down to -> HP Pavilion dv6000 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide <- in Blue, and click on it. WAIT, 15 seconds or so for the file to show the first page. Then you'll have to wait another 15 seconds or so for it to fully download. I advise not looking through it, until it fully downloads.

This guide is really a Manual. A Service Manual. Tells you in great detail about your laptop. Also tells you how to disassemble the laptop.
    You can remove various components, or completely disassemble the entire laptop. (And tells you, plus shows you how to re-assemble, of course!)

2.Tip:http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-hp-pavilion-dv6000-laptop/

More tips are available in these manuals. This website lists manuals that are free, and paid ones. I just look at the free ones.
    http://www.notebookrepairguide.com/laptop-notebook-repair-service-manuals/

Plus this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwejCKVGOY