I'm stupid because I started to fall for my best male friend. We've actually known each other for a comparatively short time (a year and a bit, most of my friends I've known for 5+ years) but we got on extremely well and it's just been easy. We agree on heaps of stuff and have fun and talk every day.

The night we met he actually tried to hit on me, he'd just been dumped and was drinking (which he usually doesn't do) and it was pretty lame. So he finds me attractive. We actually have hooked up but then we stopped. Then I hooked up with one of his friends, which I think might have put me out of the running? He didn't seem to care.

I guess he seems more friendly now whereas before he was a little flirty but he'll still tell me I'm attractive now and stuff. He'll get upset if we go a day or two without talking! And he's made a big deal of how we have to stay friends, how much he likes hanging out with me blah blah. He's really nice and he's always doing me favours, sometimes without being asked. He says he wants another girlfriend, so he's told me that but never made a move. I assumed it was a factual statement not a hint, or are guys hinting when they say that?

So why would a guy be SO keen on being good friends (seriously he is the most clingy out of all my friends, and he's not like that with other people) with a girl he's attracted with but not want more? Can you really like someone and have attraction but just be missing a spark? For me, if you get on well and there's attraction I think might as well give it a go, but I guess he's different?