Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
+ Reply to Thread
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am writing an article for a local magazine about a book... Any tips?

So, I am writing an article for a magazine in my town about a book I read? It is NOT supposed to be a summary, but my opinion about the book itself. You know, did I like the characters? The plot? Good or bad, annoying or enjoyable?

Do you guys have any tips for me? I am a first timer, and I want to make it REALLY good.

Thanks guys! It means a lot

God bless yall!
    It's for a children's audience also...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say look at it from both sides and try to relate to people more, rather than your own personal opinions. For example saying that the book played the character Joey out to be a self-centered jerk, rather than saying "i think joey was a self-centered jerk" or even saying "some may find joey's antics funny, but i found them annoying" just making sure it isnt just your opinion, you know?

Downloads
    Uploads
    first read the book. think about it a bit. jot down some notes about the characters, the plot, passages you liked, didn't like etc.

then re-read the book, slowly this time, thinking about your points.

NOW you are ready to write your review. you should have a good lead that will make it interesting for the reader, and you should support your statements with excerpts from the book. if the author has other books in print, perhaps you know them and can make some comparisons or draw some conclusions (depends also on the length)

you should be fair; if the book is really good say so and why, if it is really bad, say why but also offer some alternate suggestions such as - an editor should have been able to catch all the typos - or - if the author held his writing to the plot it would be an enjoyable book, but he jumps from one irrelevancy to another and loses the reader - you get the point?

say what you mean, mean what you say, and support your points.

+ Reply to Thread