Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does it seem that most atheists have a paranoid “conspiracy theorist”

personality? Check out this guy’s question. It seems that all of the people who were certain that 9/11 was an inside job carried out by the U.S. government also described themselves to be “non-religious”. They seem to stubbornly believe this in spite of the fact that the majority of the evidence is against them:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AoGwqc0DARvE6x_80na2TVfsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid =20081004143137AAiVmkc&show=7#profile-info-Vo32P1uaaa

Their answers and explanations sounds almost exactly like typical atheist answers on Y!A where they say that “religion” is just another "conspiracy" to gain control over people, or that Christianity is a plagiarism of pagan rituals, in spite of the fact that they have no evidence to back their claims up, and that there is circumstantial evidence against them – which they selectively ignore (notice they never pick as “best answer” or even acknowledge a well researched & well argued rebuttal).

Does being paranoid, distrustful, and delusional personality type help make one a devout atheist?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm Atheist. The only thing I'm paranoid about is my boyfriend, and that's only because where I'm concerned he has a history of being a jerk.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try reading Crimmy's questions some time, then get back with me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I lol at the irony in this.

Junior Member SteLilithofthevines's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think those traits you mentioned would better describe people who think a giant man in the sky is always watching you and judging you just waiting for you to die.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I blame the horrible movie Zeitgeist, which pretends to be a professional documentary, but is, in fact, unsourced, utter crap. It puts forth the idea that religion is a "conspiracy" to hold power in the hands of the elite, which is totally wrong, if only because it would be nearly impossible to think of how religion could be a conspiracy when it arises so naturally. I am disappointed how many atheists seem to be taken in by that movie.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A paranoid, distrustful, and delusional personlity type do not make a devout atheist.

A naive, trusting, judgemental type make up a devout Christian.

Religion (organized religion, not religions like paganism or Buddhism) was actually used as a form of government waaaay back in the day and if you were a nonbeliever... well, they last thing you would hear is the whistle of a sword through the air before it... yeah.

Downloads
    Uploads
    fuck you Mr. stereotype!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im an athiest and i believe that 'Religion' was created to cover what is really going on and to brainwash the weak into not looking further into things which is perfect for covering up what they are really doing.