Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are some Old and New Testament prophecies concerning the Book of

Mormon and the Restoration of the Gospel? of Jesus Christ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the one in Ezequiel about the stick of Ephraim (Book of Mormon) and the stick of Judah (the Bible) coming together. I think it's in Chapter 37

This link has a few too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look at the blessing that was given to Joseph, the son of Jacob.

"22 ¶ Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall:
    23 The archers have sorely grieved him, and shot at him, and hated him:
    24 But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob; (from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel
    25 Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb:
    26 The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren. "
    (Genesis 49)

Joseph's branches run over the wall, unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills. Where is the fulfillment of this prophecy, if not through Lehi and his sons? Joseph, not Judah, had the principal blessing.

Take a look at Ephraim's blessing:

"17 And when Joseph saw that his father laid his right hand upon the head of Ephraim, it displeased him: and he held up his father’s hand, to remove it from Ephraim’s head unto Manasseh’s head.
    18 And Joseph said unto his father, Not so, my father: for this is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head.
    19 And his father refused, and said, I know it, my son, I know it: he also shall become a people, and he also shall be great: but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a multitude of nations. "
    (Genesis 48)

Ephraim's posterity was to become a multitude of nations.

Now look at this prophesy of Moses:

"26 I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that ye shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it; ye shall not prolong your days upon it, but shall utterly be destroyed.
    27 And the Lord shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the Lord shall lead you.
    28 And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men’s hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.
    29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
    30 When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the Lord thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice;
    31 (For the Lord thy God is a merciful God he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them. "
    (Deuteronomy 4)

Moses fortold that his people would be scattered across the nations, where they would be few in number. He even intimates the the Lord himself will guide them when he says "whither the Lord shall lead you." Where is this more evident than in the case of Lehi and his posterity? Lehi was led by the lord to journey with his family to America. His sons Laman and Lemuel joined with the native inhabitants who worshipped idols of wood and stone and gold and silver. Yet sometimes they repented and returned to worship the Lord God, and God did remember the covenant that he made with their fathers.

Isaiah saw our day, and described it accurately:
    "13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
    14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid. "
    (Isaiah 29)

So in a day when people give God lip service, and fear him, but do not love him, God is going to do a "marvelous work and a wonder" which shall humble their wise and prudent men. What is this marvelous work and a wonder?

"11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
    12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. "
    (Isaiah 29)

What book does this describe, if not the Book of Mormon?

Downloads
    Uploads
    11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
    12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
    13 ¶ Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
    14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.
    http://scriptures.lds.org/en/isa/29/11#11

Joseph Smith History
    62 By this timely aid was I enabled to reach the place of my destination in Pennsylvania; and immediately after my arrival there I commenced copying the characters off the plates. I copied a considerable number of them, and by means of the Urim and Thummim I translated some of them, which I did between the time I arrived at the house of my wife’s father, in the month of December, and the February following.
    63 Sometime in this month of February, the aforementioned Mr. Martin Harris came to our place, got the characters which I had drawn off the plates, and started with them to the city of New York. For what took place relative to him and the characters, I refer to his own account of the circumstances, as he related them to me after his return, which was as follows:
    64 “I went to the city of New York, and presented the characters which had been translated, with the translation thereof, to Professor Charles Anthon, a gentleman celebrated for his literary attainments. Professor Anthon stated that the translation was correct, more so than any he had before seen translated from the Egyptian. I then showed him those which were not yet translated, and he said that they were Egyptian, Chaldaic, Assyriac, and Arabic; and he said they were true characters. He gave me a certificate, certifying to the people of Palmyra that they were true characters, and that the translation of such of them as had been translated was also correct. I took the certificate and put it into my pocket, and was just leaving the house, when Mr. Anthon called me back, and asked me how the young man found out that there were gold plates in the place where he found them. I answered that an angel of God had revealed it unto him.
    http://scriptures.lds.org/en/js_h/1/65#65

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/isa/2/1-3#1
    Isaiah 2
    1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
    2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
    3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

Isaiah 29
    13 ¶ Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
    14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

Isa. 1

Apostasy and rebellion in ancient Israel; call to repentance; promise of a restoration and then of the destruction of the wicked.

Isa. 2–14

Quoted by Nephi in 2 Ne. 12–24. General interpretation in 2 Ne. 11, 2 Ne. 19, 2 Ne. 25, 2 Ne. 26.

Isa. 2

2 Ne. 12. Gathering of Israel to the temple in our day; latter-day state of Israel; millennial conditions and second coming of Christ. Micah 4 and Micah 5; 3 Ne. 20 and 3 Ne. 21.

Isa. 3

2 Ne. 13. Status of Israel in her scattered and apostate condition before the second coming.

Isa. 4

2 Ne. 14. Millennial.

Isa. 5

2 Ne. 15. Apostasy and scattering of Israel; her dire state; restoration and gathering.

Isa. 6

2 Ne. 16. Isaiah’s vision and call. Isa. 6:9–10 are messianic.

Isa. 7

2 Ne. 17. Local history except Isa. 7:10–16, which are messianic. 2 Ne. 11.

Isa. 8

2 Ne. 18. Local wars and history; counsel on identifying true religion. Isa. 8:13–17 are messianic.

Isa. 9–10

2 Ne. 19–20. Local history: destruction of wicked Israel by Assyrians to typify destruction of all wicked nations at second coming; Isa. 9:1–7 is messianic.

Isa. 11

2 Ne. 21. Restoration; gathering of Israel; millennial era. JS—H 1:40; D&C 101:26; D&C 113:1–6. Isa. 11:1–5 are messianic and apply also to the second coming. 2 Ne. 30:9–15.

Isa. 12

2 Ne. 22. Millennial.

Isa. 13

2 Ne. 23. Overthrow of Babylon typifying second coming. D&C 29 and D&C 45.

Isa. 14

2 Ne. 24. Millennial gathering of Israel; fall of Lucifer in war in heaven; destruction preceding second coming.

Isa. 15–17

Local prophecies and history; fate of those who oppose Israel in day of restoration. Isa. 16:4–5 is messianic.

Isa. 18

Restoration; gathering of Israel; sending of missionaries from America.

Isa. 19

Local; salvation for Egypt in day of restoration.

Isa. 20

Local.

Isa. 21–22

Local, but typifying second coming. Isa. 22:21–25 is messianic.

Isa. 23

Local.

Isa. 24

Latter-day apostasy and second coming. D&C 1.

Isa. 25

Second coming. Isa. 25:8 is also messianic.

Isa. 26

Second coming; resurrection; millennium.

Isa. 27

Millennial triumph of Israel.

Isa. 28

Desolations incident to second coming. Isa. 28:16 is messianic.

Isa. 29

2 Ne. 26:14–20, 27. Nephites, last days, apostasy, Book of Mormon, and restoration. This Book of Mormon account is one of the best illustrations of an inspired interpretation of a chapter that is difficult to understand.

Isa. 30

Israel, rebellious and worldly, to be saved in day of restoration; apostasy, restoration, and resultant blessings; second coming.

Isa. 31

The world vs. the second coming.

Isa. 32

Apostasy of Israel until the restoration. Isa. 32:1–4 are messianic.

Isa. 33

Apostasy followed by restoration.

Isa. 34

Second coming and attendant desolations. D&C 1 and D&C 133.

Isa. 35

Restoration; gathering; second coming. D&C 133.

Isa. 36–39

Local history of inspiration and beauty.

Isa. 40

Second coming. Isa. 40:1–11 are messianic.

Isa. 41

God reasons with Israel, ancient and modern, and speaks of the era of restoration. Isa. 41:27 is messianic.

Isa. 42

Isa. 42:1–8, 16 are messianic; the balance of the chapter praises God and bemoans Israel’s troubles.

Isa. 43

Restoration and gathering.

Isa. 44

Restoration and gathering.

Isa. 45

Israel to be gathered and saved; salvation is in Christ. Isa. 45:20–25 are messianic.

Isa. 46

Idols vs. true God, both anciently and now.

Isa. 47

Babylon, symbol of our modern world.

Isa. 48–49

1 Ne. 20; 1 Ne. 21. Scattering and gathering of Israel. 1 Ne. 22; 2 Ne. 6.

Isa. 50–51

2 Ne. 7; 2 Ne. 8. Scattering, gathering, restoration, second coming. 2 Ne. 9:1–3; 2 Ne. 10. Isa. 50:5–6 is messianic.

Isa. 52

Restoration and gathering. Mosiah 12:20–25; Mosiah 15:13–18; 3 Ne. 16, 20, 21; Moro. 10:30–31; D&C 113:7–10. Isa. 52:13–15 are messianic.

Isa. 53

Mosiah 14. Probably the greatest single Old Testament messianic prophecy. Mosiah 15–16.

Isa. 54

Restoration and gathering; millennial. 3 Ne. 22; 3 Ne. 23:1–6, 14.

Isa. 55–62

Apostasy; restoration; gathering; glory of latter-day Zion. Isa. 61:1–3 is messianic.

Isa. 63–64

Second coming. D&C 133.

Isa. 65

Israel and false religionists in latter days; millennium. D&C 101:22–38.

Isa. 66

Restoration and second coming.

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/2_thes/2/3#3
    Thesselonians 2
    Apostasy is to precede the Second Coming—Gospel prepares men for eternal glory.
    1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
    2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
    3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Downloads
    Uploads
    Deuteronomy 18:20-22

20 But the prophet, that shall speak a word presumptuously in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.'
    21 And if thou say in thy heart: 'How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?'
    22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken; the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously, thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    But that's the most you will find. The Torah only states not to follow false prophets, the Torah doesn't go into their stories that they will make up.
    There is no mention of Mormon anywhere in the Torah/TaNaCh.
    Or J.